Bookshare® exists today because of the commitment of a loyal, dedicated community of Members. From the very beginning, Bookshare Members have helped each other, contributing books they have enjoyed so others can enjoy them too.
- Discussion and Information Sharing
- Items of Interest
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Customer Support
- Membership Information
Discussion and Information Sharing
Bookshare has many avenues for sharing your ideas and insights:
- Join the Members discussion and meet other Bookshare Members. This discussion group is often your best source for good hands-on information. Members share tips about using Bookshare, discuss books they are reading, and talk about print access topics such as scanning or reading technology or just about anything else they think would be of interest to other Members. This is a very active list. Once you have subscribed, you may want to change your settings to “digest form” (see below) which typically means one email a day containing all of the emails sent to the list that day.
- Share your thoughts, ideas, comments and questions with the Bookshare staff.
- Get handouts and materials for giving trainings, talks or sharing Bookshare information with groups and organizations.
- Hear Member stories.
- Sign up for the Bookshare newsletter
Resources for people with print disabilities include:
Items of Interest
- View videos of Bookshare Members who use various assistive devices to read Bookshare books. The short profiles demonstrate how Members are using the technology. The longer stories describe how Bookshare has affected Members’ lives.
- Bookshare will be attending a number of conferences around the country. Get the latest information on conference dates and locations.
By volunteering with Bookshare, you not only help add books to the library, you also become part of a very lively community. Bookshare Volunteers hold contests, sponsor books clubs, and run a discussion group. In addition, Volunteers with print disabilities can earn credits toward their membership fees.
If you scan a book for your own use and want to share the book file with others, or if you just want to help build the Bookshare library with other efforts, sign up as a Volunteer.
Bookshare has a number of resources to help with any question:
- Downloading books:
- Access Technology:
- Membership: Individual Membership FAQs
- General Questions: Help Overview
If your question is not answered here, feel free to contact Bookshare.
Membership in Bookshare is available to individuals with qualifying print disabilities and to organizations supporting those individuals.
Through an award from the U.S. Department of Education Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), Bookshare is able to offer free memberships to U.S. schools and qualifying U.S. students. Read more about the OSEP award.