Bookshare® accepts scanned textbooks from Member schools and organizations. Learn more about membership.
By submitting your scanned books, you will:
- Leverage your efforts, making your scanned books available to all students nationwide.
- Eliminate duplication of effort.
- Increase the possibility that you and your students will be able to find the publications they need when they need them.
Additional Information about Submitted Books
Once included on the Bookshare site, your submissions will be available in two accessible formats for download by all Bookshare Members:
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with Braille embossers and refreshable Braille devices.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a talking-book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3 text files that work with screen readers, self-voicing synthetic-voice DAISY players, portable self-voicing DAISY players, and scan-and-read software such as Kurzweil K1000 and K3000, WYNN, and OpenBook.
At this point, Bookshare is not able to support graphics in books, only text. So any graphics or pictures you may have embedded in your scanned material will not be included in the formats available for download from Bookshare.
Page numbers and page-breaks will be inserted but Bookshare cannot guarantee perfect pagination. So the page numbers of the original source book may not match the page numbers on the digital book.
As Bookshare focuses on building its educational collection, submissions from educational content partners are a high priority. For books that are in good shape, Bookshare can generally process these books and upload them into the library within a week, depending on the quantity submitted. Please contact Bookshare for more information.