- Table View
- List View
[from the back cover] "All that glitters isn't gold. A rich man sends Donald Lam looking for a man--when he really wants to find a woman. A minor missing persons case turns out to be a major one. And a pleasure boat on pontoons serves as a smuggler's ship on wheels. This is a job for detectives who know fact from fiction, so Erle Stanley Gardner, writing as A. A. Fair, pits his top team, Bertha Cool and Donald Lam, against the people who know all too well that All Grass Isn't Green."
[from the back cover] ""You're bait. You're window undressing." Stripper Daffidill Lawson thought it over for a moment. "Tell me more." "You check into the motel," Donald Lam said. "I'll be half a block away watching your room through binoculars. You forget to pull the shade and start stripping--slowly. If anybody shows up and starts watching, I'll turn on a red light. If you see that red light, you move slowly over to the telephone and call the police." "Then what?" "Then the police come and catch him, and then they knock on your door and say, 'Lady, you shouldn't undress with the curtains up.'" "And what do I say?" "You tell them," Donald said, "that your agent thought if you could hold a murderer spellbound until the police arrived, it would be a service to humanity and swell publicity.""
[from the back cover] A COOL GIRL HUNT was what the blind man wanted. He was searching for a pretty young woman, soft-spoken and slender, whom he'd never seen but knew had vanished, and he was willing to pay Bertha Cool anything to find her. The whole thing seemed impossible and sounded suspicious, but the man's money was right--even if his motives weren't--and given the choice Bertha always followed the dollar sign. Only this time the dollar sign pointed to murder and fingered Bertha Cool as a red-hot suspect... ERLE STANLEY GARDNER creator of Perry Mason, and A. A. Fair, creator of the top detective team of Donald Lam and Bertha Cool, are one and the same. And the same exciting brand of mystery and action is to be found in every Gardner-Fair story.
THE COUNT OF NINE, another tingling mystery adventure featuring pint-sized Donald Lam and pig-shaped Bertha Cool. ALL three of us started through the doorway. Then all three of us stopped. The corpse was sprawled out on the floor, knees doubled, feet back under him. "Look, look," Phyllis Crockett screamed. "A dart from the blowgun in his throat!" "And another sticking in that shelf up there," Donald Lam said. Mrs. Crockett leaned forward and reached up to grasp the dart on the shelf. "Leave that alone!" Donald commanded. "You're taking on a lot of authority," Melvin Olney said coldly. "You're damn right I am. I know the procedure in these matters. Both of you get out of here and close that door. I'm telephoning homicide."
EMERALDS ARE FOR EVILShirley was sultry, sexy, smashing--a sweet young thing to make a sugar daddy's mouth water. This luscious lass loved pretty baubles, so no wonder men showered her with jewels. But when a deluge of emeralds turned into a reign of terror, Shirley needed someone to bail her out.That brought Bertha Cool and Donald Lam into the act, as the indomitable detective duo discovered that emeralds could be a girl's worst enemy when they carried a price tag of murder...
Follow detectives Arnold Lam and Bertha Cool on another great adventure from a classic crime fiction writer.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.