- Table View
- List View
Delivered within a clear political framework and condensed by the authors themselves to provide just the right amount of reading, the narrative brings history to life through the voices and perspectives of people who embraced and contested America's promise.
This new edition of The American Promise is a cause for celebration, for it proudly announces the successful reception of earlier editions. Preparing this edition, however, allowed us the opportunity to revisit our original premises, evaluate our earlier efforts, take stock of what worked, and decide how to build on those successes.
The American Promise: A History of the United States, Value Edition, Volume I: To 1877 (4th edition)by Alan Lawson James L. Roark Michael P. Johnson Patricia Cline Cohen Sarah Stage Susan M. Hartmann
This edition engages students by revealing history through the eyes of the people who lived it. Enriched with the voices of hundreds of Americans, the Value Edition offers students a memorable narrative.
In response to the ever-changing challenges of teaching the survey course, Understanding the American Promise combines a newly abridged narrative with an innovative chapter architecture to focus students' attention on what's truly significant. Each chapter is fully designed to guide students' comprehension and foster their development of historical skills. Brief and affordable but still balanced in its coverage, this new textbook combines distinctive study aids, a bold new design, and lively art to give your students a clear pathway to what's important.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.