- Table View
- List View
The demographics and psychosocial aspects of aging and vision loss, community-based services for blind older persons, improving access to vision rehabilitation.
When older people lose their vision, they encounter many challenges. One is speaking up for themselves with people in their daily lives, including health care professionals and members of their own families. Training in self-advocacy is crucial to restoring their self-esteem and getting their needs met. This three-part kit contains an essential guide for group leaders conducting self-advocacy skills training, a user-friendly manual for older group participants, and a helpful booklet for family members. In one resource, everything needed to address an important issue effectively!
Solutions for Success is a curriculum intended to help caregivers recognize vision loss and to provide valuable information and techniques that will help you help older individuals to live as independently and safely as possible. The manual is divided into 20 easy-to-follow lessons, each dealing with a different aspect of visual impairment and daily living, including bathing, dressing, eating, walking, shopping, and attending to personal business. With the knowledge you will obtain from this manual, you can help an older person regain self-confidence and self-esteem.
Vision and Aging: Crossroads for Service Delivery focuses on the impact of visual impairment on older persons and their families. It also discusses the extent of that impact when services in the aging and blindness fields theoretically designed to enable older visually impaired persons to function independently are not available or accessible.
The guide provides a framework for the reader to understand the core issues related to aging and vision loss, as well as the needs and capabilities of older visually impaired persons.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.