- Table View
- List View
From the Jacket: This delightfully warm and often funny story begins with the Run of 1893 which opened the Cherokee Strip, a part of the Oklahoma Territory. Joe (Papa) Richardson was among the thousands who made a dash for land and staked a claim for his family. And such a family! There is Mama, of course; Nell, who writes poetry; Tom, who wants to be an outlaw; and Betsy, who writes this story. Behind a cottonwood tree the Richardsons build their one-room sod house. Soon Mama begins to agitate for a "real" house. She's tired of holding an umbrella over her head every time the roof leaks. (Betsy hates to leave the soddy.) Then Mama wants a school, and a school means a teacher, so pretty Miss Charity comes to stay. It isn't long before Tyler Evans, the cowboy on the next claim, begins to spend more and more time at the Richardsons'. And with each visit he loses a little more of his heart to Miss Charity as Betsy jealously stands by. Betsy's story is of genuine people who lived at the close of a turbulent century. Betsy said of a loose tooth: "It hurts good." And so does this story hurt good. But the hurt is tempered with an abundance of joy.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.