- Table View
- List View
Alexander George's lucid interpretation of Hume's "Of Miracles" provides fresh insights into this provocative text, explaining the concepts and claims involved. He also shows why Hume's argument fails to engage with committed religious thought and why philosophical argumentation so often proves ineffective in shaking people's deeply held beliefs.
Two widely published humor columnists and "bad boys" of academia take their wit and wisdom to dazzling new lows in this irreverent send-up of highbrow literary culture. At last, the thinking person's take on the life of the mind in today's increasingly mindless age. Sense and Nonsensibility pokes fun at everyone from spoof-proof scholars to pompous professors; from anal-retentive authors to plagiarizing poets; from snake-oil therapists to bestselling illiterati. This singular collection by Professors Lawrence Douglas and Alexander George brings together their most popular pieces, along with many brand-new ones, including: The Academy Awards for novels -- with categories for "Best Female Protagonist -- Doomed," "Best Narrator -- Unreliable," and "Best Novel -- Unfinishable by Reader" Home Shopping University -- offering the greatest ideas in Western history at rock-bottom prices I'm Okay, I'm Okay: Accepting Narcissism -- the best in "Self-helplessness books" The Penis Orations -- Iron Man's answer to The Vagina Monologues "Ask the Academic Ethicist" -- their notorious advice column, which has shocked higher education
What Would Socrates Say?helps the armchair philosopher solve age-old quandaries and contemporary ethical dilemmas. - If no one ever loves me during my lifetime--if I don't have a relationship--will I have not lived a good life? - Do the advances in the field of biotechnology threaten our moral values? - Are there any reasons to have a child that aren't selfish? - Is there no such thing as bad art? - What's the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter? - Am I morally bound to tell my sex partner if I fantasize about someone else while making love to him or her? These are among the profound, paradoxical, playful, and classic questions asked and answered in this book drawn from AskPhilosophers. org, the popular website created by some of today's most highly esteemed philosophers. Using their knowledge of the arguments laid down by the likes of Aristotle, Camus, Locke, and Socrates, and their own insightful interpretations, they break down tough issues in a digestible, personal, and even humorous style. Included are questions on today's hot-button topics (war, euthanasia); timeless conundrums about religion and morality (how do we know God exists?); personal perplexities about adultery, child-rearing, and sex; and a few lighthearted topics like whether it's right to let your kids believe in Santa. Featuring real questions from real people around the world--doctors, lawyers, the uneducated, the elderly, and even young children (for example, "If everything has an opposite, like night and day, then what's the opposite of a banana?")--this book is for anyone seeking enlightenment on a complicated or an elusive concept relevant to the lives we lead today. Whether you agree with the answers given or not, this book reminds us of Socrates' famous words--"a life unexamined is not worth living"--and, in doing so, encourages us to think a little more deeply, a little more critically, and, well, a little more philosophically about how we make our way in the world
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.