- Table View
- List View
Two widely published humor columnists and "bad boys" of academia take their wit and wisdom to dazzling new lows in this irreverent send-up of highbrow literary culture. At last, the thinking person's take on the life of the mind in today's increasingly mindless age. Sense and Nonsensibility pokes fun at everyone from spoof-proof scholars to pompous professors; from anal-retentive authors to plagiarizing poets; from snake-oil therapists to bestselling illiterati. This singular collection by Professors Lawrence Douglas and Alexander George brings together their most popular pieces, along with many brand-new ones, including: The Academy Awards for novels -- with categories for "Best Female Protagonist -- Doomed," "Best Narrator -- Unreliable," and "Best Novel -- Unfinishable by Reader" Home Shopping University -- offering the greatest ideas in Western history at rock-bottom prices I'm Okay, I'm Okay: Accepting Narcissism -- the best in "Self-helplessness books" The Penis Orations -- Iron Man's answer to The Vagina Monologues "Ask the Academic Ethicist" -- their notorious advice column, which has shocked higher education
What Would Socrates Say?helps the armchair philosopher solve age-old quandaries and contemporary ethical dilemmas. - If no one ever loves me during my lifetime--if I don't have a relationship--will I have not lived a good life? - Do the advances in the field of biotechnology threaten our moral values? - Are there any reasons to have a child that aren't selfish? - Is there no such thing as bad art? - What's the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter? - Am I morally bound to tell my sex partner if I fantasize about someone else while making love to him or her? These are among the profound, paradoxical, playful, and classic questions asked and answered in this book drawn from AskPhilosophers. org, the popular website created by some of today's most highly esteemed philosophers. Using their knowledge of the arguments laid down by the likes of Aristotle, Camus, Locke, and Socrates, and their own insightful interpretations, they break down tough issues in a digestible, personal, and even humorous style. Included are questions on today's hot-button topics (war, euthanasia); timeless conundrums about religion and morality (how do we know God exists?); personal perplexities about adultery, child-rearing, and sex; and a few lighthearted topics like whether it's right to let your kids believe in Santa. Featuring real questions from real people around the world--doctors, lawyers, the uneducated, the elderly, and even young children (for example, "If everything has an opposite, like night and day, then what's the opposite of a banana?")--this book is for anyone seeking enlightenment on a complicated or an elusive concept relevant to the lives we lead today. Whether you agree with the answers given or not, this book reminds us of Socrates' famous words--"a life unexamined is not worth living"--and, in doing so, encourages us to think a little more deeply, a little more critically, and, well, a little more philosophically about how we make our way in the world
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.