Most poets are or have been at one time or another members of what Mark Strand here calls "The Midnight Club": they are insomniacs, or feel most productive in the middle of the night, or, if nothing else, are people whose work requires an openness to the dreams, visions, and scraps of inspired language that may drift across our path in the wee hours. In this selection, drawn from Knopf's Poem-a-Day program (the daily e-mails we've sent to our fans every April for the last dozen years or more), we've gathered some of the significant nocturnal entries by our poets. Here are poems of love and loss (J. D. McClatchy's "Little Elegy," Kevin Young's "Chorale"), poems under the moon and in hotel rooms (Frank O'Hara's "Avenue A," Sharon Olds's "Sleep Suite"), poems detailing urgent self-examinations and Jewish mourning rituals, or heralding the arrival of a visionary political statement like "They Feed They Lion," a poem from the early 1970s by poet laureate Philip Levine. Each one carries us on a journey away from the distractions of daytime and into a realm of heightened understanding.
Unraveling the Legend and History of Shakespeare's Mysterious Portrait -- is the newly-discovered portrait really Shakespeare?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.