In this paperback debut, Alison Pollet brings us the story of an observant uptown girl named Penelope, whose posh upbringing can't protect her from changes at home and at school. It's 1981, and nothing is going right in Penelope's life. She has just started seventh grade at Elston Prep, and she and her best friend Stacy aren't getting along. Stacy is all caught up in who's wearing what to whose Bar Mitzvah, and has even become friends with Annabella and Pia, two of the biggest snobs at Elston! At home, things are no better: there's a new mother's helper to contend with, and Penelope's little brother Nathaniel just won't leave her alone. And when her parents are at home--which is rare--all they do is fight.
Discover the defining moments and fondest memories of some of the world's most celebrated women!Based on the popular WE: Women's Entertainment television series and featuring an introduction by famed television journalist and author Linda Ellerbee,When I Was a Girlpresents a collection of timeless girlhood tales. Extraordinary women from the worlds of politics, sports, entertainment, literature, music, and beyond relive the early moments that shaped them: the first friendships and academic pitfalls, the consuming crushes and favorite outfits. These are some of the remarkable women who offer a glimpse into what inspired them when they were girls:Gillian AndersonIndia. ArieCandice BergenEllen BurstynCandace BushnellAnn CurryEllen DeGeneresIlleana DouglasMarian Wright EdelmanMelissa EtheridgeEdie FalcoFionnula FlanaganSue GraftonDenyce GravesMelanie GriffithCherry JonesGladys KnightLisa LeslieSusan LucciWendie MalickRita MorenoDee Dee MyersCynthia NixonElizabeth PerkinsKelly PrestonAnna QuindlenSally RideMichelle RodriguezAmy SedarisJamie-Lynn SiglerMary SteenburgenLee Ann WomackAnd many more!Here are cherished memories, evocative and insightful, for every woman who recalls fondly what she was like. . . when she was a girl. For more information on WE: Women's Entertainment and the seriesWhen I Was a Girllog on to www. we. tv.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.