- Table View
- List View
In this paperback debut, Alison Pollet brings us the story of an observant uptown girl named Penelope, whose posh upbringing can't protect her from changes at home and at school. It's 1981, and nothing is going right in Penelope's life. She has just started seventh grade at Elston Prep, and she and her best friend Stacy aren't getting along. Stacy is all caught up in who's wearing what to whose Bar Mitzvah, and has even become friends with Annabella and Pia, two of the biggest snobs at Elston! At home, things are no better: there's a new mother's helper to contend with, and Penelope's little brother Nathaniel just won't leave her alone. And when her parents are at home--which is rare--all they do is fight.
Discover the defining moments and fondest memories of some of the world's most celebrated women!Based on the popular WE: Women's Entertainment television series and featuring an introduction by famed television journalist and author Linda Ellerbee,When I Was a Girlpresents a collection of timeless girlhood tales. Extraordinary women from the worlds of politics, sports, entertainment, literature, music, and beyond relive the early moments that shaped them: the first friendships and academic pitfalls, the consuming crushes and favorite outfits. These are some of the remarkable women who offer a glimpse into what inspired them when they were girls:Gillian AndersonIndia. ArieCandice BergenEllen BurstynCandace BushnellAnn CurryEllen DeGeneresIlleana DouglasMarian Wright EdelmanMelissa EtheridgeEdie FalcoFionnula FlanaganSue GraftonDenyce GravesMelanie GriffithCherry JonesGladys KnightLisa LeslieSusan LucciWendie MalickRita MorenoDee Dee MyersCynthia NixonElizabeth PerkinsKelly PrestonAnna QuindlenSally RideMichelle RodriguezAmy SedarisJamie-Lynn SiglerMary SteenburgenLee Ann WomackAnd many more!Here are cherished memories, evocative and insightful, for every woman who recalls fondly what she was like. . . when she was a girl. For more information on WE: Women's Entertainment and the seriesWhen I Was a Girllog on to www. we. tv.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.