- Table View
- List View
Fresh from her debut, The Stranger You Seek--which Publishers Weekly called "an explosive, unpredictable, and psychologically complex thriller that turns crime fiction clichés inside out"--Amanda Kyle Williams delivers a second thrilling Keye Street novel, perfect for fans of Karin Slaughter and Patricia Cornwell. That bullet was meant for you. Summer is smoldering through Atlanta on Fourth of July weekend, as fireworks crack through the air and steam rises from the pavement on Peachtree. Private investigator and ex-FBI profiler Keye Street wants nothing more than a couple of quiet days alone with her boyfriend, Aaron--but, as usual, murder gets in the way. I will find her. A.P.D. Lieutenant Aaron Rauser is called to the disturbing scene of the strangling death of a thirteen-year-old boy. Meanwhile, Keye must deal with not one but two of her own investigations: In the hills of Creeklaw County, there's a curious case involving chicken feed and a crematorium, and in Atlanta, Keye's emotionally fragile cousin Miki is convinced she is being stalked. Given Miki's history of drug abuse and mental problems, Keye is reluctant to accept her cousin's tale of a threatening man inside her house late one night. But as a recovering alcoholic herself, Keye can't exactly begrudge a woman her addictions--especially since Miki drives Keye to near-relapses at every turn. And yet, Miki is family, and Keye must help her--even if it means tempting her own demons. I always find her. All hell breaks loose when another murder--the apparent hanging of an elderly man--hits disturbingly close to home for Keye. And though the two victims have almost nothing in common, there are bizarre similarities between this case and that of Aaron's strangled teen. Is there a single faceless predator, a calculating murderer targeting his prey at random? Only a skilled profiler like Keye Street can help the A.P.D. find him. With the threat of more deaths to come, Keye works on pure instinct alone--and soon realizes that a killer is circling ever closer to the people she loves the most. Praise for Amanda Kyle Williams's The Stranger You Seek "An exceptionally smart and harrowing character-driven debut by a welcome new thriller writer."--New York Times bestselling author Karin Slaughter "A creepy, suspenseful, breathtaking ride . . . [Keye] Street is a unique and worthy addition to the rich tradition of damaged and tough private detectives."--Associated Press "[Williams] keeps the suspense taut and the humor snarky, with an ending that will have you slapping your foreheard over clues you missed."--The Atlanta Journal-Constitution "With its shocking triple-twist climax, this is the best private eye debut since Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War."--The Plain Dealer "An explosive, unpredictable, and psychologically complex thriller."--Publishers Weekly (starred review) "A dark, gritty thriller, The Stranger You Seek is a sensational debut. Readers will relish this story's many captivating, powerful, and compelling layers."--New York Times bestselling author Julia Spencer-FlemingFrom the Hardcover edition.
The papers have called me a monster. You've either concluded that I am a braggart as well as a sadist or that I have a deep and driving need to be caught and punished. In the sweltering heat of an Atlanta summer, a killer is pushing the city to its breaking point, preying on the unsuspecting, writing taunting letters to the media, promising more death. Desperate to stop the Wishbone Killer before another victim meets a shattering end, A.P.D. lieutenant Aaron Rauser turns to the one person he knows can penetrate a deranged mind: ex-FBI profiler Keye Street. And you must certainly be wondering if I am, in fact, the stranger you seek. Keye was a rising young star at the Bureau until addiction derailed her career and her life. Now sober and fighting to stay so, Keye picks up jobs where she can get them: catching adulterers, serving subpoenas, chasing down bailjumpers, and dodging the occasional bullet. With multiple victims, little to go on, and an entire police force looking for direction, the last thing Keye wants is to be pulled into the firestorm of Atlanta's worst nightmare. Shall I convince you? And then it suddenly becomes clear that the hunter has become the hunted--and the stranger she seeks is far closer than she ever dared imagine.An electrifying thriller debut, The Stranger You Seek introduces a brash, flawed, and unforgettable heroine in a complex, twisting novel that takes readers deep into a sultry Southern summer, a city in the grips of chaos, and a harrowing cat-and-mouse game no reader will ever forget.From the Hardcover edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.