- Table View
- List View
Thomas Austin Preston. Six foot four, skinny as a rake. He's played poker with two US presidents - and drug lord Pablo Escobar; made a million dollars by the age of nineteen; and driven a golf ball a mile. Thomas Austin Preston - who is he? The world knows him better as the greatest gambler of all time: Amarillo Slim. Raised in Amarillo, Texas, Amarillo Slim has lived the most daring, exciting and profitable life of any man alive. Sent overseas just after World War II to give billiards exhibitions for the US army, he ended up running the biggest black-market operation in Europe. Back home, he returned to his first love, cards, and won the World Series of poker in 1972. Now a living legend and member of four Halls of Fame, he's been celebrated in songs and movies, and his picture hangs in City Hall, Las Vegas. Because, most of all, Slim's a man who loves to gamble. He'll bet on anything - if the price is right. He's ridden a camel thourgh the fanciest casino in Marrakesh and beaten Evel Knieval at golf (with a hammer), but that was just the small stuff. In his finest hour, he took on the Chinese table tennis champion at his own game. Slim, of course, got to choose the bats. The choice? Coke bottles. The result? 21-0, 21-0, 21-0. Slim was a very happy man. In the most entertaining book this year, Amarillo Slim will tell you the story of his extraordinary life - and the secrets of his even more extraordinary success. From Vegas to Colombia, Texas to London, welcome to the wonderful world of Amarillo Slim!
In this new and completely revised edition, the first reigning World Series of Poker Champion gets down and dirty about how to win big. It's not just about cards. It's about the people who hold them, so you'll need to be a master of human nature. Who better to teach you than American folk hero and gambling legend Amarillo Slim? Get his first-hand secrets on everything from counting cards to judging opponents, the laws of probability, betting, bluffing, when to drop, and when to pick up your chips and head home.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.