Challenging the myth of Clift, actor, as tragic victim, Amy Lawrence explores the way Clift's extraordinary looks, controversial sexuality, and the accident that allegedly changed the course of his career continue to feed the religious intensity of fan discourse.
Anyone not adequately acquainted with the South's true culinary terrain might struggle with the idea of a Southern vegetarian. Because isn't the South one big feast of meaty indulgence? Don't vegetables play a supporting role to fried chicken and bacon on a Southern table? Justin Fox Burks and Amy Lawrence turn that notion on its head by recasting garden bounty as the headlining act on a plate. In a region distinguished by ideal growing conditions and generations of skilled farmers, Southern-style vegetarian cooking is not only possible, it's a pursuit brimming with vine-ripened possibility. Grab a chair in Burks and Lawrence's kitchen and discover modern recipes that evoke the flavors of traditional Southern cooking, with techniques and ingredients loved so dearly throughout the region: Lemon Zest and Thyme Pimento Cheese Grilled Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette Okra Fritters with Creole Mustard Sauce Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Eggplant Roast Beet Salad with Sea Salt Granola and Honey Tarragon Dressing Grilled Peach Ice Cream Whether you're a devoted plant-eater or a steadfast omnivore, The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook will help you shift vegetables from the outskirts of your plate into main course position. Eating your vegetables has never been more delicious. "True Southern food will always adapt to its surroundings. It is not the stubborn lout that many think it is, rather it's a nimble cheerleader of its region. It revels in vegetables and cherishes seasons. Burks and Lawrence are adding healthy substance to the definition of our Southern food. The Southern Vegetarian is a great addition to any culinary library." --Hugh Acheson, author of A New Turn in the South "Come eat with The Chubby Vegetarian. Justin and Amy are the only people I have ever met who can take the hock out of greens and not remove the soul from the pot." --Kelly English, Food & Wine Best New Chef 2009, Chef/Owner of Restaurant Iris "What you have in your hands is a gift. It is a fresh, fun, slightly irreverent and joyful new look at Southern vegetarian dishes...a look that needed to be taken." --John Currence, James Beard Foundation award for Best Chef South, Chef/Owner, City Grocery Restaurant Group
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.