Here is your guide to the fastest-growing trend in childbirth--a tradition as old as motherhood itself. Doulas,or professional labor assistants, have led thousands of expectant women through the birthing process in a way that's safe and meaningful, and that creates the birth and postbirth experience all mothers long for. What exactly dodoulas do? How to find one that suitsyou. What are the "trade secrets" only doulas know but every woman should be aware of (even if youdon'thave a doula)? InThe Doula Guide to Birth,senior-level doula Ananda Lowe and award-winning health reporter Rachel Zimmerman have written a most comprehensive book that draws on the wisdom of these skilled experts, whose experience with doctors, midwives, nurses, and hospitals makes them invaluable advocates before, during, and after birth. * Labor techniques anyone can use * Pain medication: do you, don't you--and when? * What dads and loved ones need and can do best * When should youreallygo to the hospital in labor? * How to prepare for unexpected medical procedures, including cesareans and epidural * Postpartum--what it's really like * A clip-out chart of labor techniques, birth plan worksheets, and much more Combining science, wit, warmth, and support, as well as the inspirational stories of dozens of mothers and their partners, you'll find the "doula viewpoint" on every major pregnancy and delivery issue, making this one of the most important childbirth books you'll ever read and recommend.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.