- Table View
- List View
Stories filled with wonder and the haunting beauty of his culture have helped make Rudolfo Anaya the father of Chicano literature in English, and his tales fairly shimmer with the lyric richness of his prose. Acclaimed in both Spanish and English, Anaya is perhaps best loved for his classic bestseller ... Antonio Marez is six years old when Ultima comes to stay with his family in New Mexico. She is a curandera, one who cures with herbs and magic. Under her wise wing, Tony will test the bonds that tie him to his people, and discover himself in the pagan past, in his father's wisdom, and in his mother's Catholicism. And at each life turn there is Ultima, who delivered Tony into the world-and will nurture the birth of his soul.
Professor Rosa Medina, a folklorist researching the ChupaCabra, goes to Mexico to track down recent sightings of the creature which kills its victims, particularly goats, by sucking their brains out.
It's been thirty years since Amado was banished to the desert by a government that considered his ideas about religion and the state to be subversive. Now he returns to find his people living in squalor outside the glorious Seventh City of the Sun.
When the governor of New Mexico is found drowned in the bath house at Jemez Spring, Albuquerque private eye Sonny Baca is called in to investigate. As he soon learns, murder is only the beginning of the evil that must be sorted out.
Everyone loves the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta de Alburquerque. This year the fiesta is more profitable and livelier than ever. Until a body plummets from the heavens. P.I. Sonny Baca immediately reconizes the corpse as a key witness in his cousin's murder case. When another balloonist is shot down and the fiesta offers him a handsome reward to catch the killer, Sonny is soon following a sinister trail leading to a world of black magic, corruption, and drugs. Here his enemy is not only of this world, but of its shadow, and here Sonny must risk his very soul for the fate of the city - and the woman - he loves.
Set in a hospital for crippled children, this novel explores the meaning of pain and suffering. Tortuga, meaning turtle, is a young boy who is paralyzed and is hospitalized. He nevertheless finds the courage to outdo pain and tragedy.
Gloria's body is found drained of blood, and on her stomach has been carved the Zia sun symbol, which makes Sonny suspect witchcraft. His search for the truth pits him in a conflict between the ways of his ancestors and those of the city.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.