- Table View
- List View
In collaboration with Le Cordon Bleu, Gisslen provides a comprehensive guide to professional cooking theory and techniques for culinary students. This heavy tome contains about 1,200 recipes--100 of them new to this edition. The extensive scope of the book encompasses the food service industry, sanitation and safety, tools and equipment, the basics, menus and cost management, and nutrition. Then, the author provides detailed instructions, with color photos by J. Gerard Smith, for cooking stocks and sauces; soups; meats, game, and poultry; fish and shellfish; vegetables; legumes, grains, and pasta; salads; sandwiches; appetizers; breakfast foods; beverages; cured foods; cold foods; yeast products and breads; and desserts. This edition has been updated, is in full-color, contains vegetarian recipes and diets, uses the new food pyramid, and has chapters on presenting and garnishing food and modern food service. Gisslen is the author of many other culinary books, including The Essentials of Professional Cooking and Professional Baking, and is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America. Annotation ©2006 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.