- Table View
- List View
The most popular and most complete desktop reference book on Mac OS X now covers Tiger! Apple's Mac OS X operating system continues to capture the attention of consumers and programmers alike with its ability to run older Mac programs, classic Unix applications, and innovative open source software. And the latest and greatest version, Mac OS X 10.4--otherwise known as "Tiger"--is more powerful and versatile (not to mention easier to use, faster, and better looking) than ever before. With unparalleled, up-to-the-minute detail on Tiger, Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell is loaded with new and updated material on practically every page. Sure, Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell covers all the essentials and most-talked-about new features of Tiger, including big-ticket items such as Spotlight for effortless searching, iChat AV for video conferencing, and Dashboard for one-click access to a calculator, weather reports, stock prices, flight times, and more. But this fully updated edition also covers the hundreds of nips and tucks Tiger made to its underlying technologies and existing applications, including improvements to graphics and the Unix-based core and an easy way to automate time-consuming, repetitive manual or batch tasks. Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell offers a wealth of detail about the new user-interface elements, system and network administration, and scripting and development. It covers enhancements to the Finder, Safari RSS, Mail 2, and System Preferences. This indispensable guide also includes the most complete Unix command reference found in print--each command and option has been painstakingly tested and checked against Tiger. Even the manpages that ship with the system can't compete in accuracy! For longtime Mac loyalists as well as recent converts, for consumers, developers and programmers, this fully updated edition provides the perfect overview of Mac OS X and all the nitty-gritty hints and how-tos you need to make it your all-purpose, must-have Tiger guide.
Following the common-sense O'Reilly style, Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell cuts through the chaff and gives you practical details you can use every day. Everything you need to know about the Unix side of Mac OS X has been systematically documented in this book. Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell offers a complete overview of Mac OS X Tiger (Version 10.4), focusing on the BSD Unix layer. This book familiarizes you with over 300 of Tiger's Unix commands, the Terminal application, file management, system and network administration issues, and more. Completely revised for Mac OS X Tiger, this book offers: The most complete and thorough coverage of Mac OS X's Unix commands you'll find anywhere (even in the system) An overview of basic system and network administration features, including coverage of NetInfo and Directory Services An introduction to using Mac OS X's Unix command-line interface, the Terminal application An overview of Mac OS X's Unix text editors, including vi and Emacs Information on shell syntax variables for Tiger's default Unix shell, bash Each command and option in this book's Unix Command Reference has been painstakingly tested and checked against Tiger; even the manpages that ship with Mac OS X can't compete in accuracy. Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell is the most comprehensive quick reference on the market and is a must for any serious Mac user.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.