- Table View
- List View
50 Ways to Support Lesbian and Gay Equality: The Complete Guide to Supporting Family, Friends, Neighbors or Yourselfby Meredith Maran Angela Watrous
Homosexuality has been politicized. But when the issue hits home, whether it involves a family member, colleague, or neighbor who's gay, all that controversy fades in the face of a real, live person who wants and deserves basic human rights and freedoms. Written by gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people and those who care about them, 50 Ways to Support Lesbian and Gay Equality is a compendium of informative, joyful, and poignant essays by well-known experts, activists, and leaders, each promoting understanding while suggesting simple actions. From defining terminology ("What's gay baiting?"), to exploring family issues ("How can I support a lesbian couple who want to have children?"), the book deftly navigates workplace, cultural, and political issues. This timely and much-needed guide demonstrates positive ways to deal with everyday homophobia and heterosexism, or just plain uncertainty at the unfamiliar, offering guidance on issues ranging from the personal--what to say to a closeted friend --to the political--how to support gay rights around the world.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.