- Table View
- List View
Arthur Avenue winds its way through the heart of the Bronx. Known to many as the "real Little Italy," the storied Arthur Avenue neighborhood has been home to a vibrant community of Italian-Americans for over a hundred years. Today, this area continues to thrive as visitors and residents stop to buy a fresh, crusty loaf of bread; to enjoy a meal at Mario's Restaurant; to dawdle for a while at Randazzo's raw bar on a warm summer afternoon; or to hear Mike's Deli owner Michele Greco belt out an aria from Rigoletto and spellbind his customers with tales of the Avenue's past. Now, for the first time, the residents of Arthur Avenue invite you to experience the magic of their kitchens and share the flavors of their family tables. Passed down through generations, their delicious recipes are time-tested, tried, and true -- and ready for any kitchen. They include: Sicilian Baked Ziti Yankee Stadium Big Boy (The Greco family's famous grinder that was rated one of the best in the city by the New York Times ) Osso Buco Olive Ciabatta Italian Ricotta Cheesecake Cannoli and more The Arthur Avenue Cookbook also invites you to savor the memories of the neighborhood's most colorful residents, restaurateurs, and shop owners, and those of their families -- many of whom have lived in the neighborhood since it first came into being. Meet Mario Borgatti, the noodle maker who has been there for more than eighty-five years. Anthony Artuso, Sr. , takes his bakery business so seriously that he went seventeen years without a vacation -- in part, to ensure that each bride and groom got the perfect wedding cake. And Mike Rella, president of the Arthur Avenue Retail Market, remembers learning English by working in a butcher shop, where he's now a partner with his uncle Peter Servedio. This cookbook also provides a guide to the pastry shops, delis, restaurants, and other famous and lesser-known gems that line Arthur Avenue. Gorgeous photographs, extraordinary characters, and enticing dishes make The Arthur Avenue Cookbook an irresistible addition to any kitchen.
For Pat and Gina Neely the secret to a truly happy home is a lively mix of food and family. In their new book, the best-selling authors draw on their down-home roots and revisit the classic Southern recipes that have been passed down through generations. We're drawn into the kitchens of their mothers and grandmothers and back to a time when produce was picked in the backyard garden and catfish was caught on afternoon fishing trips with Grandpa. In their signature style, Pat and Gina have taken the dishes they were raised on and updated them for today's kitchens. Inside you'll find 100 recipes, including Small Batch Strawberry Jam (best when eaten with Easy Buttermilk and Cream Biscuits), Bourbon French Toast, Crunchy Fried Okra, Skillet Corn Bread, Grilled Succotash, Skillet Roasted Chicken, and Brunswick Stew (which combines a little of everything in your fridge). Pat and Gina believe good food leads to good times and Back Home with the Neelys is sure to bring back fond memories of the tradition, history, and flavors that are present in every family. From the Hardcover edition.
Food Network star Guy Fieri takes you on a tour of America's most colorful diners, drive-ins, and dives in this tie-in to his enormously popular television show, complete with recipes, photos, and memorabilia. Packed with Guy's iconic personality, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives follows his hot-rod trips around the country, mapping out the best places most of us have never heard of. From digging in at legendary burger joint the Squeeze Inn in Sacramento, California, baking Peanut Pie from Virginia Diner in Wakefield, Virginia, or kicking back with Pete's "Rubbed and Almost Fried" Turkey Sandwich from Panini Pete's in Fairhope, Alabama, Guy showcases the amazing personalities, fascinating stories, and outrageously good food offered by these American treasures.
Dare to get more out of your greens! From healthy, superfood packed entrée salads to indulgent affairs featuring premium ingredients, this bold collection of more than 60 recipes for voracious omnivores and vivacious salad lovers features unusual and dynamic ingredient pairings that take salads to a whole new level. In Mixt Salads, the co-founder and executive chef of San Francisco's beloved boutique salad joints shares his inventive, flavor-forward creations. Blending all of the best trends in healthy, mindful eating--seasonal, locally grown, modest portions but big flavor--Swallow develops each entrée salad as if he were in the kitchen of a fine dining restaurant. With his penchant for innovative constructions and unabashed flavor, he reinvents the salad with playful yet elegant offerings such as: Porky mixed greens with pork tenderloin, roasted butternut squash, and port reductionDonald duck confit with persimmons and blue cheesesBurger ground Kobe with grilled onionLobster Boat poached lobster with golden beets Swallow teaches you how to create fresh, delicious, and addictive salads that take center stage as the entire meal, breaking free of side-dish status. Starting from scratch, he walks you through his salad-building essentials and highlights produce availability so that you can create your own imaginative masterpieces year round.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.