- Table View
- List View
Conflict of interest occurs at all levels of governance, ranging from local to global, both in the public and the corporate and financial spheres. There is increasing awareness that conflicts of interest may distort decision-making processes and generate inappropriate outcomes, thereby undermining the functioning of public institutions and markets. However, the current worldwide trend towards regulation, which seeks to forestall, prevent and manage conflicts of interest, has its price. Drawbacks may include the stifling of decision-making processes, the loss of expertise among decision-makers and a vicious circle of distrust. This interdisciplinary and international book addresses specific situations of conflict of interest in different spheres of governance, particularly in global, public and corporate governance.
Deception and Desire Smart and shy, Laura Erickson had never been lucky in love. So when handsome Jonathan Devlin seemed interested, she was immediately suspicious. Why was a man like that attracted to a woman like her? Then Jonathan's charm made her begin to believe. Maybe, just maybe, she'd met a man she could trust....Jonathan Devlin was positive Laura Erickson was guilty. But once he got past her prickly exterior to the warm, wonderful woman inside, he knew she was innocent in every way. But if his real reasons for keeping her close were discovered, how could he prove his intentions were honorable...especially when his thoughts were anything but pure?
PARENT-TEACHER MEETING... Overworked teacher Hally McKenzie vowed that this year she would finally lose those five extra pounds and learn a new language-that is, until the gorgeous single dad of a troubled student turned to her for help. OR MARRIAGE AND INSTANT MOTHERHOOD? Widower Michael Parker was having trouble relating to his daughter, who had gone from pretty to punk almost overnight-and Hally was his last hope. But Mike found it difficult to concentrate when the beautiful teacher was near, for it seemed the only way to make his family whole again, was to have Hally become a permanent part of it!
Wedding Bell Blues Beth Coleman: Mother on the Run My first marriage taught me never to trust a man. No matter how gentle or considerate Nick seems, it's hard to believe he really wants to help me and my son. And marriage to any man is out of the question.Nick McCullough: Lonely Rancher After my wife died, I gave up on having a family of my own. But something about Beth gives me hope. It's been awhile since I wanted a woman's trust-or her love-but maybe I've finally found someone worth fighting for. Though Beth certainly won't make it easy....
Fabulous Fathers HER CHILD? April Bingham had just discovered that the baby she'd thought she'd lost was alive-and living with his father, Jared O'Neal. Now she was back in her hometown to become a real mother to little Tyler, but Jared hadn't exactly welcomed her home with open arms.... The stubborn man evoked longings April hadn't felt in years-not only for heart and home, but for an enduring happiness she'd never thought possible. Could April convince mistrustful Jared that the passion they'd once shared had not only created a wonderful little boy, but a love to last a lifetime? Fabulous Fathers. First he'll have to open his heart.
This analysis of 'globalised' standard-setting processes draws together insights from law, political sciences, sociology and social anthropology to assess the authority and accountability of non-state actors and the legitimacy and effectiveness of the processes. The essays offer new understandings of current governance problems, including environmental and financial standards, rules for military contractors and complex public-private partnerships, such as those intended to protect critical information infrastructure. The contributions also evaluate multi-stakeholder initiatives (such as the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative), and discuss the constitution of public norms in stateless areas. A synopsis of the latest results of the World Governance Indicator, arguably one of the most important surveys in the area today, is included.
While its importance in domestic law has long been acknowledged, transparency has until now remained largely unexplored in international law. This study of transparency issues in key areas such as international economic law, environmental law, human rights law and humanitarian law brings together new and important insights on this pressing issue. Contributors explore the framing and content of transparency in their respective fields with regard to proceedings, institutions, law-making processes and legal culture, and a selection of cross-cutting essays completes the study by examining transparency in international law-making and adjudication.
WANTED: A BRIDEDodging a horde of husband-hunting women, successful businessman Zach Robinson caught sight of single mom Monica Griffith-the one woman at his sister's "Brides for Alaska" function who wasn't looking to be married!NEEDED: A HUSBANDSo of course Zach appointed himself the lovely yet vulnerable woman's partner-and became her knight when he swept her and her adorable daughter off to his resort.FOUND: A FAMILYSuddenly Zach found himself reading bedtime stories-and begging for nighttime kisses from Monica! Was this temporary family feeling going to last? It was if Zach had anything to day about it!
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.