- Table View
- List View
This authoritative manual presents an accessible 18-step program widely used by clinicians working with challenging teens. Steps 1-9 comprise parent training strategies for managing a broad range of problem behaviors, including those linked to oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Steps 10-18 focus on teaching all family members to negotiate, communicate, and problem-solve more effectively, while facilitating adolescents' individuation and autonomy. Practical reproducible handouts and forms are included; the print book has a large-size format and lay-flat binding to facilitate photocopying. Purchasers also get access to a Web page where they can download and print the reproducible materials. New to This Edition *Incorporates 15 years of research advances and the authors' ongoing clinical experience. *Fully updated model of the nature and causes of ODD. *Revised assessment tools and recommendations. *Reflects cultural changes, such as teens' growing technology use. See also the authors' related parent guide, Your Defiant Teen, Second Edition: 10 Steps to Resolve Conflict and Rebuild Your Relationship, an ideal client recommendation. For a focus on younger children, see also Dr. Barkley's Defiant Children, Third Edition (for professionals) and Your Defiant Child, Second Edition (for parents).
When your teen's rebellious behavior "crosses the line," how can you reestablish your authority without getting caught in a power struggle? Bestselling authors and distinguished psychologists Russell Barkley and Arthur Robin have each spent decades helping parents and kids resolve standoffs and repair their relationships. Now they've distilled their approach into a clinically proven self-help program that can help you break through to your teen and rebuild trust. Centered around 10 simple steps that lead to better behavior, "Your Defiant Teen" provides practical guidelines for putting an end to the hostilities. You'll learn realistic ways to foster mutual respect, introduce cooperative problem solving, and strengthen family relationships, while giving your teen vital skills for becoming a mature, independent adult.
If life with your teen has become a battleground, it's time to take action. This empathic book shows how. Trusted psychologists who have worked with thousands of families give you the tools you need to overcome defiance and get teen behavior back on track. By following the authors' clinically proven 10-step program, learn how you can: *Reestablish your authority while building trust. *Identify and enforce nonnegotiable rules. *Use rewards and incentives that work. *Communicate and problem-solve effectively--even in the heat of the moment. *Restore positive feelings in your relationship. *Develop your teen's skills for becoming a successful adult. Vivid stories and answers to frequently asked questions help you put the techniques into action. The updated second edition incorporates new scientific research on why some teens have more problems with self-control than others. Practical forms and worksheets can be downloaded and printed in a convenient 8 1/2" x 11" size.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.