- Table View
- List View
Puns and pickles, and funny twists of fate pepper the madcap adventures of the two bumbling brothers, Harshabardhan and Gobardhan. Mildly dishonest timber merchants, foolhardy adventure buffs, reckless explorers, blundering do-gooders, occasional philosophers and gullible blokes, the endearing duo creates the most hilarious misunderstandings, commits the silliest mistakes and falls into the weirdest traps. Whether they are setting off on an elaborate tiger hunt or belling a cat, solving a mysterious burglary or coming back from the dead, Harshabardhan and Gobardhan are a laugh riot. Joined by the author, who writes himself into many a story, and a stellar cast of supporting characters, Harshabardhan and Gobardhan's antics will keep you chuckling away. The two brothers are among the best-loved characters created by leading Bengali humorist, Shibram Chakraborty. Appearing for the first time in this superb English translation by one of India's foremost translators, Arunava Sinha, these 20 classic comical stories will have you clutching your sides in merriment.
A modern-day Bengali Decameron, My Kind of Girl is a sensitive and vibrant novella containing four disarming accounts of unrequited love. In a railway station one bleak December night, four strangers from different walks of life --a contractor, a government bureaucrat, a writer, and a doctor--face an overnight delay. The sight of a young loving couple prompts them to reflect on and share with each other their own experiences of the vagaries of the human heart in a story cycle that is in turn melancholy, playful, wise, and heart-wrenching. The tales reveal each traveler's inner landscape and provide an illuminating glimpse into contemporary life in India. Coming out of a great storytelling tradition, My Kind of Girl is a moving and imaginative look at love from one of India's most celebrated writers.
German Hossain?s dreams never seem to leave him in peace. As India?s independence approaches, bringing with it a wrenching partition and the bloodbath of communal riots, German, a resident of Birbhum district in Bengal, sets out for Murshidabad in the hope of curing himself of his dream-sickness and, in his newfound sympathy of the Muslim League, to make his home in a place destined to become part of Pakistan. But when, after a three-day tug-of-war of sorts, the Radcliffe line recommendations deem that Murshidabad be returned to India, German decides to return to his place of birth, still plagued by his dreams and led by them, still in search of his destiny. This is the story of his journeys. Political, personal and surreal landscapes are intricately woven together in this exquisite novel about djinns and fairies, demonology and Sufism, the partition of a country and, above all, the dreams that make men who they are.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.