- Table View
- List View
For eighty-five years the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) has been engaged in developing standards for sound academic practice and in working for the acceptance of these standards by the community of higher education. The Association has long been viewed as the authoritative voice of the academic profession in this regard. The AAUP's Policy Documents and Reports (widely known as The Redbook because of the color of its cover) presents in convenient format a wide range of policies, formulated at times in cooperation with other organizations. The current edition, the ninth (the first was published in 1968), includes basic statements on academic freedom, tenure, and due process; professional ethics; research and teaching; discrimination; academic governance; collective bargaining; students' rights and freedoms; and accreditation. Among the new documents not found in previous editions are statements on post-tenure review; tenure in the medical school; access to university records; the assignment of course grades and student appeals thereof; institutional responsibility for legal demands on faculty; distance education; intellectual property; and collegiality as a criterion for faculty evaluation. An appendix lists selected judicial decisions and scholarly writings that refer to AAUP standards. The documents in The Redbook offer guidance to all components of the academic community--trustees, administrators, faculty, and students--for the development of institutional policy and for the resolution of concrete issues as they arise.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.