- Table View
- List View
Praised for its highly readable narrative and unmatched chronological integration of political, social and cultural history,The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures captures the spirit of each age as it situates Europe within a global context. An innovative organization seamlessly connects historical events and everyday life, while the text's distinctive features introduce students to the process of historical thinking. The fully revised second edition includes superior student support, 60 additional in-text primary sources, and comprehensive treatment of the post-1945 era.
The Making of the West, Peoples and Cultures: A Concise History (Combined Edition-Volume I & II, 4th Edition)by Barbara H. Rosenwein Bonnie G. Smith Lynn Hunt Thomas R. Martin
With a chronological narrative that offers a truly global context, The Making of the West: A Concise History tells the story of the cross-cultural exchanges that have shaped Western history.
The history of the West includes many different peoples and cultures. It is a sustained story of the West's development in a broad, global context that reveals the cross-cultural interactions fundamental to the shaping of Western politics, societies, cultures, and economies.
Rosenwein (history, Loyola U., Chicago) has succeeded in writing a history of the Middle Ages that presents Byzantium and Islam alongside Western Christendom with equal emphasis, developing the relationships between them throughout the text in a way students will find familiar to their own time. Though political events are described, much attention is given to developments in art and culture, religion and thought, and the realities of everyday life, making this an unusually engaging history for the beginning undergraduate. The second edition contains corrections to the first, published in 2002. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.