- Table View
- List View
A novel about the liberation invasion of Guam in 1944, as seen through the eyes of a ten-year-old boy.
Collection of stories about two boys and their experiences with the spirits and other supernatural forces on the island of Guam. "The Taotaomon'a stories in this book were gathered from many of the customers that came to SHIRLEY'S COFFEE SHOP in Mangilao over the past ten years. Some of the stories recount the personal experience of the tale-teller while other stories seem to be stories retold for ages... I have used the names 'Jose' and 'Mariano' for my fictional characters that are 10-year old cousins with no specific last name... Taotaomon 'a are not to be feared but the ancient spirits are to be respected because they are busy on earth completing their task to get to the great beyond. Remember, be polite, ask permission and please say 'excuse me' to avoid offending them." Bill Becker
Sailing ESCAPE to Guam, is a story about a fictitious family of five in a sailboat named "ESCAPE" from California to Guam. They stopped at Hawaii, Marshall Islands, Ponape along the way. They were headed for Guam, when dramatic things happen to the family. Brian, the husband, father and captain is rendered comatose by an accident, some 300 miles east of Guam. His wife, Sharon, who was proficient in domestic duties, didn't have a clue about sailing the boat. Alan, the oldest son, to whom the captaincy of ESCAPE should have fallen, was possessed with a changing hormone mix that interfered with his rational thinking. Steve, the twelve-year-old son and his eleven-year-old sister, Kelly, were determined to sail the boat to a harbor in Guam or at least close enough to land to get help for their ailing father. A maturing process takes place as the children meet each of the challenges presented to them. Though they endured many hardships and surprises, the two young children remained determined to succeed.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.