This book, written by one of the most well-known and contervercial coaches in gymnastics history, follows Bela Karolyi from his boyhood in a remote part of the Former Soviet Union to his Olympic glory with stars such as Nadia Comeneci and Mary-Lou Retton. He, along with his wife Marta, have created a gymnastics dynasty that is remarkable.
In the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, a nation watched Mary Lou Retton flip, somersault and tumble her way to a gold medal. She became an over-night sensation. But how did she get there? How did this small-girl from a West Virginia mining town get to the Olympics? How did Bela Karolyi, the Romanian coach who trained Nadia Comeneci in Romania and later to train other Olympic champions get the opprotunity to train Retton? In alternating chapters, this tells the story of Mary Lou Retton and how Bela Karolyi became her coach.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.