- Table View
- List View
While early studies of the auditory/vestibular sciences provided insights into the anatomy and neurophysiology of these systems and produced a prosthetic cochlear implant, the rise of molecular biology now permits a clear examination of the genetic basis for various hearing and balance disorders. In Auditory and Vestibular Research: Methods and Protocols, specialists in the field describe current RNA, protein, and imaging protocols that have provided insights into genetic regulation as well as a greater understanding of the genes and pathogens involved in diseases of the ear. This overview utilizes both mammalian and non-mammalian animal models as well as techniques applicable to clinical studies in order to best provide an up-to-date perspective on basic research. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular BiologyTM series format, chapters include brief introductions to their subjects, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and Notes sections, highlighting tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls. Comprehensive and cutting-edge, Auditory and Vestibular Research: Methods and Protocols is an ideal guide to the field and a useful tool for exploring genes and proteins in other systems as well, especially systems in which tissues are scarce and a comparative approach lends itself to discovering the underlying causes of human disorders.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.