- Table View
- List View
Seven science fiction stories by one of the greatest SF writers including Time is the Traitor, The Man Who Murdered Mohammed, Out of this World, The Pi Man, The Flowered Thundermug, Will You Wait, They Don't Make Life Like They Used To.
In a world policed by telepaths, Ben Reich plans to commit a crime that hasn't been heard of in 70 years: murder. That's the only option left for Reich, whose company is losing a 10-year death struggle with rival D'Courtney Enterprises. Terrorized in his dreams by The Man With No Face and driven to the edge after D'Courtney refuses a merger offer, Reich murders his rival and bribes a high-ranking telepath to help him cover his tracks. But while police prefect Lincoln Powell knows Reich is guilty, his telepath's knowledge is a far cry from admissible evidence.<P><P> Hugo Award winner.
Take two parts of Beelzebub, two of Israfel, one of Monte Cristo, one of Cyrano, mix violently, season with mystery and you have Mr. Solon Aquila. He is tall, gaunt, sprightly in manner, bitter in expression, and when he laughs his dark eyes turn into wounds. His occupation is unknown. He is wealthy without visible means of support. He is seen everywhere and understood nowhere.
The Stars My Destination is a 260 page classic science Fiction novel written by Alfred Bester and first published in 1956. The Summary by Vintage Books reads as follows: A trailhlazing novel of interplanetary intrigue and adventure that pits a solitary renegade against the empire builders of the next millennium. Education: none, skills: none, merits: none, recommendations: none." So reads Gully Foyle's Merchant Marine card. But Gully has managed to survive for 170 days in the airless purgatory of deep space and to escape to Terra with a murderous grudge and a secret that could change the course of history. In this pulse-quickening novel, Alfred Bester imagines a future in which people "jaunte" a thousand miles with a single thought, where the rich barricade themselves in labyrinths and protect themselves with radioactive hit men-and where an inarticulate outcast is the most valuable and dangerous man alive. The Stars My Destination is a classic of technological prophecy and timeless narrative enchantment by an acknowledged master of science fiction. A MAIN SELECTION OF THE SCIENCE FICTION BOOK CLUB
From high society cocktail parties to wild bashes on Fire Island, this is how the beautiful people live. But for Julene Krebs, all the money in Manhattan can't protect her from a menace lurking just beneath the surface, a mistake from her past from which she cannot escape. Only charming but self-centered ad man Win Canard and brilliant scientist Nick Franklyn, both haunted by their own dark secrets, can save her. But, even as they fight each other, they must face off against a raging hurricane and an insane genius obsessed with just one thing... New York City, 1959. A picture of a place and time now past, where evil is not much different than our own. A psycological thriller in the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock.
A collection of Science Fiction stories with visual and linguistic challenges which demand a thinking reader who is willing to consider human talents and behavior unlike any we are used to or with which we are comfortable.He challenges us to accept people speaking languages we don't know - how many people are fluent in 6 languages - but accept the story without knowing what is being said. Or to deal with visual clues many cannot see. It is this last which may be what made some parts incomprehensible to some.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.