- Table View
- List View
Seven science fiction stories by one of the greatest SF writers including Time is the Traitor, The Man Who Murdered Mohammed, Out of this World, The Pi Man, The Flowered Thundermug, Will You Wait, They Don't Make Life Like They Used To.
Ben Reich maneuvers his way through murder in a world policed by telepaths.
The Stars My Destination is a 260 page classic science Fiction novel written by Alfred Bester and first published in 1956. The Summary by Vintage Books reads as follows: A trailhlazing novel of interplanetary intrigue and adventure that pits a solitary renegade against the empire builders of the next millennium. Education: none, skills: none, merits: none, recommendations: none." So reads Gully Foyle's Merchant Marine card. But Gully has managed to survive for 170 days in the airless purgatory of deep space and to escape to Terra with a murderous grudge and a secret that could change the course of history. In this pulse-quickening novel, Alfred Bester imagines a future in which people "jaunte" a thousand miles with a single thought, where the rich barricade themselves in labyrinths and protect themselves with radioactive hit men-and where an inarticulate outcast is the most valuable and dangerous man alive. The Stars My Destination is a classic of technological prophecy and timeless narrative enchantment by an acknowledged master of science fiction. A MAIN SELECTION OF THE SCIENCE FICTION BOOK CLUB
From high society cocktail parties to wild bashes on Fire Island, this is how the beautiful people live. But for Julene Krebs, all the money in Manhattan can't protect her from a menace lurking just beneath the surface, a mistake from her past from which she cannot escape. Only charming but self-centered ad man Win Canard and brilliant scientist Nick Franklyn, both haunted by their own dark secrets, can save her. But, even as they fight each other, they must face off against a raging hurricane and an insane genius obsessed with just one thing... New York City, 1959. A picture of a place and time now past, where evil is not much different than our own. A psycological thriller in the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock.
A collection of Science Fiction stories with visual and linguistic challenges which demand a thinking reader who is willing to consider human talents and behavior unlike any we are used to or with which we are comfortable.He challenges us to accept people speaking languages we don't know - how many people are fluent in 6 languages - but accept the story without knowing what is being said. Or to deal with visual clues many cannot see. It is this last which may be what made some parts incomprehensible to some.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.