- Table View
- List View
From the Book Jacket: Sandra Day O'Connor is one of the most influential-and controversial-women of today. In 1981, she was the first woman named to the United States Supreme Court, and since then, her rulings have helped to shape and interpret the laws of our nation. From her childhood on an Arizona ranch to her days as a young lawyer, Justice O'Connor has always fought for what she believed in: legal representation for the poor, clear mental health laws, and fair working conditions for men and women. Her opinions are not always popular, but Justice O'Connor continues to live by the words she tells the young people she meets: "The individual can make things happen." Praise for the Women of Our Time® series: "A series of uniform excellence." -Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Ages 7-11
As the artist behind the beloved Peanuts comic strip for more than 50 years, Charles Schulz--arguably the most famous cartoonist in the world--created a colorful cast of characters that continues to bring humor and comfort to millions of readers. In this distinctively designed yet highly accessible book, renowned children's biographer Beverly Gherman traces both the life events that shaped Schulz's art and the various ways in which art influenced his life in return. Acclaimed by artists ranging from Andrew Wyeth to Mo Willems, the artistic elements of Schulz's work are brought to life in a colorful layout and thoroughly explored in an enchanting text that will draw in even the most reluctant readers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.