- Table View
- List View
There are very few coaches held higher esteem than Bo Schembechler. As coach of the University of Michigan football team, he won 13 Big Ten titles and finished as the winningest coach in their storied history. But beyond the wins and losses, Bo is best remembered for the remarkable impact he had on his players and fans alike. In BO'S LASTING LESSONS, the coach draws on his years of experience, using first-person anecdotes to deliver timeless lessons on leadership, motivation and responsibility. His distinctive gruff voice leaps from the page. With pithy language, Bo explains that true leadership requires the compassion to actively listen to your people, and then to have the courage to do what is right every time. A big believer in peer pressure and in always making his players accountable for their actions, Schembechler has coached athletes who went on to become professional football players, doctors, lawyers and CEOs.
Bo Schembechler was a competitor. His life defined the word as appropriately as any other. He played football at Miami University (Ohio) under the legendary Woody Hayes and was eventually hired by Hayes at Ohio State. Perhaps it was there, working under Hayes, that Bo Schembechler learned the traits of integrity and hard work that would serve him so well as the head coach at Michigan and in his 37-year battle with heart disease. The fiercely competitive Schembechler defeated his mentor in his very first season at Michigan and the rivalry between two friends became one of the greatest in all of sport. He also defeated a myriad of health problems with his classic preparation and game-day intensity for nearly four decades.The Heart of a Champion is Bo's way of sharing his game plan to fight our nation's #1 killer--cardiovascular disease--and to inspire others fighting for their lives to win. Bo battled high blood pressure, arthrosclerosis, atrial fibrillation, diabetes, and heart failure. He proved that a diagnosis of cardiovascular disease need not be a death sentence if you can build a team to help you put a game plan together to beat it. As you read this book, you will see how one man chose to beat all the odds, much longer than anyone could have imagined. You can learn how to fight our nation's #1 killer and share it with loved ones who may need a game plan of their own.Bo's cardiologist, Dr. Kim Eagle, gives the reader a practical and informative overview of numerous health problems and how to fight them. Bo's friends and colleagues provide an intimate perspective on his life--on and off the field--and the University of Michigan program he loved so dearly.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.