- Table View
- List View
This beautifully illustrated book looks at Christmas traditions of the late 19th and early 20th centuries that have become a big part of how Christmas is celebrated today. Topics include how Santa came to be, the use of candles, why angels are a part of Christmas, Santa's workshop, elves and reindeer, parades, and much more.
Hundreds of thousands of beetles live all over the world in habitats as diverse as swamps, rainforests, and deserts. the Life Cycle of a Beetle describes the growth and development of these fascinating insects from egg to adult. Full-color images of all kinds of beetles, from the familiar to the extraordinary, are included.
A penguin is a bird. A bird is an animal that has feathers, a beak, two legs, and two wings. Unlike most birds, penguins do not use their wings to fly. Penguins live mainly in water, so they use their wings to swim. Like all birds, penguins breathe air using lungs. Lungs are body parts that take in and let out air. Penguins cannot breathe under water. They must swim to the surface of the water to breathe air.
This book talks about how schools got started. It may be difficult to believe there was a time when few communities had schools. Children of all ages were taught in the same classroom.
Skateboarding in Action shows kids how to get moving! What began as a way for surfers to practice on land has become one of North America's most popular sports.
Dramatic photographs of spewing and flowing lava will capture the attention of any child. in this fantastic new book, children will be excited to learn what a volcano is and what makes it erupt. Simple explanations describe the different kinds of volcanoes, including cinder, cone-shaped, shield, and composite as well as the different kinds of lava and the land formations they create on land and under the ocean. Other topics include the reason volcanoes often erupt during earthquakes, why giant tsunami waves are sometimes created by underwater earthquakes, and how volcanoes are studied in order to predict and prepare for eruptions. Children will also enjoy making their own volcano out of household materials.
This educative text explains the common components shared by many communities like people, transport, buildings, culture, etc. It also illustrates how various communities are interdependent and sows the seed for respecting mother earth as the most important community.
This book introduces fishes, showing and describing different types, including freshwater and salt water, and discussing their anatomy, habitats, reproduction, and diet.
This book introduces the animal kingdom, showing and describing the main groups of animals and discussing their anatomy, habitats, reproduction, and classification.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.