- Table View
- List View
Attorney MacDougal's first novel shows more than promise. In a large Philadelphia law firm, young associate Jenny Lodge is working with (and silently worshipping) brilliant, hard-driving partner Dan Casella. She helps Dan win a complicated case, and the two fall madly in love. But when Dan insists that she leave their law office if they're going to continue their affair, Jenny, angered, jumps to another firm. The plot doesn't shy away from such soapy elements. Jenny, it turns out, is carrying Dan's baby but soon legal intrigue takes center stage. There's conniving and betrayal aplenty, with lots of old Main Line money and old secrets. Sharp readers may spot the crucial connection that results in a murder followed by a suicide. No one will be surprised, but everyone will cheer when Jenny and Dan reunite; the real pleasure here, however, is in experiencing MacDougal's sure grasp of the ups and downs of the legal life. Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.
On the night of a lavish party celebrating newlyweds Doug and Campbell Smith, tragedy strikes when the thirteen-year-old son of an influential senator is kidnapped. The senator--Doug's mentor--urges Cam to track the boy down. It is an offer she cannot refuse, despite her own unsettling suspicion that the statesman seems less concerned about his child than about keeping the scandal out of the headlines. But as Cam soon discovers, everyone has something to hide. With a circle of wealth and ambition closing in tightly around her, Cam penetrates layer upon layer of lies and invention. For the abduction is not what it seems. After using all her investigative skills to find the missing boy, she begins to uncover the shocking story that links him to his captor. Surprised at her deepening attachment to them both, struggling between her duty and what is best for the child, Cam starts to question her loyalties, her marriage, her priorities, even the man she thought she loved. As she pieces together an intricate pattern of abuse and cover-up; as a series of brutal murders looms ever closer, Cam is forced to make the most agonizing decision of her life--to reveal the devastating secret of her own past ... and the shattering lie she has lived for years.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.