- Table View
- List View
Attorney MacDougal's first novel shows more than promise. In a large Philadelphia law firm, young associate Jenny Lodge is working with (and silently worshipping) brilliant, hard-driving partner Dan Casella. She helps Dan win a complicated case, and the two fall madly in love. But when Dan insists that she leave their law office if they're going to continue their affair, Jenny, angered, jumps to another firm. The plot doesn't shy away from such soapy elements. Jenny, it turns out, is carrying Dan's baby but soon legal intrigue takes center stage. There's conniving and betrayal aplenty, with lots of old Main Line money and old secrets. Sharp readers may spot the crucial connection that results in a murder followed by a suicide. No one will be surprised, but everyone will cheer when Jenny and Dan reunite; the real pleasure here, however, is in experiencing MacDougal's sure grasp of the ups and downs of the legal life. Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc.
On the night of a lavish party celebrating newlyweds Doug and Campbell Smith, tragedy strikes when the thirteen-year-old son of an influential senator is kidnapped. The senator--Doug's mentor--urges Cam to track the boy down. It is an offer she cannot refuse, despite her own unsettling suspicion that the statesman seems less concerned about his child than about keeping the scandal out of the headlines. But as Cam soon discovers, everyone has something to hide. With a circle of wealth and ambition closing in tightly around her, Cam penetrates layer upon layer of lies and invention. For the abduction is not what it seems. After using all her investigative skills to find the missing boy, she begins to uncover the shocking story that links him to his captor. Surprised at her deepening attachment to them both, struggling between her duty and what is best for the child, Cam starts to question her loyalties, her marriage, her priorities, even the man she thought she loved. As she pieces together an intricate pattern of abuse and cover-up; as a series of brutal murders looms ever closer, Cam is forced to make the most agonizing decision of her life--to reveal the devastating secret of her own past ... and the shattering lie she has lived for years.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.