- Table View
- List View
Ganadora del Premio Pulitzer en 1918, esta novela narra dos trágicas historias de amor ligadas al declive de una aristocrática dinastía americana: los magníficos Amberson. El protagonista de este drama histórico es George Amberson Minafer, el arrogante heredero de la fortuna familiar, que se verá desafiado por los vertiginosos cambios que trajo consigo la era del automóvil. «El retrato más sincero y despiadado sobre los cambios sociales en el medio oeste americano.» ORSON WELLES Booth Tarkington (1869-1946) nació en Indianápolis, Indiana, en una familia de clase media, y estudió en la Academia Philips y en las universidades de Purdue y Princeton. A lo largo de su carrera recibió dos premios Pulitzer (proeza sólo igualada por Faulkner) y disfrutó de un gran éxito de público. Además de El cuarto mandamiento (1918), la novela que Orson Welles llevó al cine en 1942, escribió The Gentleman from Indiana (1899), Seventeen (1916), Alice Adams (1921) y varias obras de teatro.
This is an EXACT reproduction of a book published before 1923. This IS NOT an OCR'd book with strange characters, introduced typographical errors, and jumbled words. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our co...
From the Book Jacket: Booth Tarkington's knowledge of art and the men who deal in it is deep and wide. In this novel, a lively and penetrating revelation of people and art, he uses that knowledge with telling effect. Rumbin, the art-dealer whose ambition is to move his galleries uptown to Fifty-seventh Street, is a vivid and unforgettable creation, with his immense bulk, his unplaceable accent, his encyclopaedic understanding at once of human nature and of the tricks of his trade. To his dusty little shop one day wanders a young man in search of a job. Howard Cattlet's only assets are an "aristocratic dumb face" and a cutaway a classmate's wedding forced him to buy. What Rumbin needs in his business are exactly the cutaway and young Mr. Cattlet's dumb look. With them is Georgina Horne, Mr. Rumbin's gray-eyed secretary, who makes Cattlet feel that art is long but time fleeting when he can't get her to look at him. Their adventures together, now poor, now basking in the temporary riches of a lucky sale, are filled with true Tarkington gaiety. Behind the exciting progress of Rumbin's fortunes lies a romance reminiscent in its grave and touching beauty of the well-remembered romances in his best-loved books
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.