Is learning about your heritage a waste of time? Is a knowledge of events and personalities from the past useless in the fast-paced world of 20th-century America? Daniel Boorstin, a noted American historian, answers: "We are overwhelmed by the instant moment -- headlined in this morning's newspaper and flashed on this hour's newscast....
This book introduces scouts to the exciting world of archery. It includes safe use, equipment, creation of arrows and other topics.
This book introduces scouts to the wonder of art in many of its forms.
This book in the Merit Badge series explains basic guidelines for backpacking. It covers basic first aid, clothing, etc, necessary for a backpacking trip.
This book introduces scouts to the wonders and joys of bird watching and study.
A Boy Scout manual that provides information about outdoor adventuring, social interactions, community service, and vocational training.
This is a facsimile reprint of the very first Boy Scouts Handbook, complete with the wonderful vintage advertisements that accompanied the original 1911 edition, now in full color. Over 40 million copies of this book have been distributed since its first publication nearly 100 years ago.The original Boy Scouts Handbook standardized American scouting and emphasized the virtues and qualifications for scouting, delineating what the American Boy Scouts declared was needed to be a "well-developed, well-informed boy." The book includes information on the organization of scouting, signs and signaling, camping, scouting games, and a description of several scouting honors. Scouts past and present will be fascinated to see how scouting has changed, as well as what has stayed the same over the years.
A guide for completing the camping merit badge for Boy Scouts.
This book guides a scout through the requirements for earning the canoeing merit badge. It guides the scout so that they learn canoeing and all the safety and skill needs associated with this activity.
A guide to completing the chess merit badge for Boy Scouts.
A guide for completing the Citizenship in the Community merit badge for Boy Scouts.
A guide for completing the Citizenship in the Nation merit badge for Boy Scouts.
This merit badge booklet introduces scouts to their place as citizens of the world as a whole.
This book introduces scouts to the adventure of climbing and rappelling. It covers equipment, safety, techniques, etc.
Boy Scouts of America Merit Badge Series pamphlet for the Coin Collecting merit badge.
A guide for completing the communication merit badge for Boy Scouts.
This booklet guides a scout through many aspects of computers. It includes historical info, technical info, and usage info. It is intended to be used for a scout to obtain his computer meritbadge.
Outlines requirements for pursuing a merit badge in cooking.
A guide for completing the cycling merit badge for Boy Scouts.
This book introduces scouts to the generation of and uses of electricity.
A guide for completing the emergency preparedness merit badge for Boy Scouts.
A guide for completing the environmental science merit badge for Boy Scouts.
A guide for completing the family life merit badge for Boy Scouts.
Detailed requirements for earning a merit badge in fire safety.
A guide for completing the first aid merit badge for Boy Scouts.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.