- Table View
- List View
Autism Spectrum Disorders presents the best validation criteria we currently have to offer children with ASD, and provides a blueprint for future work in this area. A long overdue wake-up call to the field, and one that is highly recommended. ' - Gary Sasso, Chairperson, Department of Curriculum and Instruction , University of Iowa 'This excellent compendium will prove invaluable for anyone who wants to identify and evaluate commonly used treatments and interventions for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. ' - Juane Heflin, Associate Professor, Georgia State University How can you best help a child with autism reach their full potential? Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) present a perplexing challenge for parents and school professionals. Literally dozens of interventions and treatments are available, so how does one know which intervention strategy works best for any given child or situation? This essential new resource, Autism Spectrum Disorders, was developed to respond directly to the extraordinary difficulty school professionals and families face in selecting and applying appropriate, effective interventions and treatments for the children in their care. The information is presented in a straightforward and simple format, practical for finding clear answers to complex questions. For easy access, the book is organized into the following five intervention categories-Interpersonal Relationships, Skill-Based Treatment Programs, Cognitive Methods, Physiological/Biological/Neurological Approaches, and Other Treatments and Interventions. Each category contains several detailed reviews, including: " A description of the intervention or treatment " Reported benefits and effects associated with its use " A synthesis of how the outcomes relate to individuals with ASD " A discussion of who is best qualified to implement it, including when and where " Potential costs and risks Comprehensive in scope, this resource briefly evaluates over 40 commonly used and purported interventions and treatments for individuals with ASD, as well as detailed evaluations of their utility and efficiency. It will assist readers in critically evaluating and choosing those methods that have the highest probability of yielding benefits for this special population.
This book offers practical suggestions and advice for how to teach and learn those subtle messages that most people seem to pick up almost automatically but that have to be directly taught to individuals with social-cognitive challenges. Given the serious consequences that can befall a person who violates a social rule, the strategies and detailed lists of curriculum items make The Hidden Curriculum a much-needed resource.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.