Located in the stark landscape of Eastern California's Owens Valley, Bishop is situated between two of the highest mountain ranges of the contiguous United States. Native Americans had been in the region since antiquity, and white settlers began to filter in after many battles with the Paiutes and Shoshones. Bishop was named after Sam Bishop, who drove cattle into the area and settled along Bishop Creek. Many more farmers and ranchers followed. To the south, Los Angeles was growing too, tapping the Owens River for a gravity-fed aqueduct for its residents; thus began the Los Angeles-Owens Valley Water Conflict.
The New Brooklyn Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from 31 Restaurants That Put Brooklyn on the Culinary Mapby Michael Harlan Turkell Brendan Vaughan Melissa Vaughan
Filled with mouthwatering recipes, beautiful photographs, and scenes from some of the most vibrant restaurants in America today, The New Brooklyn Cookbook celebrates the wave of culinary energy that has transformed this thriving borough and infused its kitchens and dining rooms with passion, vigor, and big flavors. Starring the trail-blazing chefs and entrepreneurs who made it all happen, this gorgeous book helps readers recreate the signature dishes of Brooklyn in the comfort of their own kitchens. With enthusiasm and insight, husband-and-wife duo Melissa and Brendan Vaughan highlight the "new" tastes of Brooklyn, including: Steak and Eggs Korean Style (The Good Fork) Cast-Iron Chicken with Caramelized Shallots and Sherry Pan Sauce (Vinegar Hill House) Seared Swordfish with SautÉed Grape Tomatoes, Fresh Corn and Kohlrabi Salad, and Avocado Aioli (Rose Water) Beef Sauerbraten with Red Cabbage and Pretzel Dumplings (Prime Meats) Doug's Pecan Pie Sundae (Buttermilk Channel) Hoppy American Brown Ale-Home Brew Version (Sixpoint Craft Ales brewery) The Vaughans also profile some of Brooklyn's best food makers and purveyors, from cheesemakers and picklers to chocolatiers and bakers, giving readers an inside look at the ingredients behind their favorite restaurant dishes and the food culture that supports their creation. Featured Restaurants: Al Di LÀ The Grocery Saul Rose Water Convivium Osteria Locanda Vini e Olii DuMont Aliseo Osteria del Borgo Marlow & Sons Franny's iCi Applewood Egg Northeast Kingdom The Good Fork Dressler The Farm on Adderley Flatbush Farm Palo Santo Lunetta Beer Table James The General Greene Five Leaves Char No. 4 No. 7 Buttermilk Channel Roberta's Vinegar Hill House Prime Meats The Vanderbilt Plus: Interviews with Ten of Brooklyn's most popular artisanal food producers
A clever collection of true stories celebrating real-life ?MacGyverisms? For anyone who?s ever wished they could channel 1980s action-adventure icon Angus MacGyver?a secret agent known for relying on his brains, scientific prowess, duct tape, and a Swiss Army knife to save the day?this unique collection commemorates the use of improvised genius in everyday life. The ?MacGyverisms? recounted range from the concrete (using Chex Mix to provide traction in an icy parking lot) to the intangible (saving a relationship with the perfect turn of phrase). Divided by theme, the book features over forty true accounts in all?some by well-known writers, including Chuck Klosterman and A. J. Jacobs, most by ordinary people. Edgy, entertaining, and smirk-to-yourself funny, these masterfully told stories reveal that, with a little luck and a lot of ingenuity, you can ?MacGyver? yourself out of virtually any predicament.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.