- Table View
- List View
From his loves and losses to the possibility his ghost still resides in the White House, Abraham Lincoln's complexity, his experiences, and his life in politics are explored in this unique biography. High school & older.
When it comes to bastards, you can't beat the good old days of the Egyptian pharaohs, the Roman Empire, or Europe during the Dark Ages. The bastards of old abound--and they come in every color, creed, gender, and sexual preference. From the cross-dressing emperor Elagabalus of Rome, who was assassinated by his own grandmother, to the icon-worshipping fanatical Empress Irene of Byzantine, who gouged out her only son's eyes, you'll find the most malevolent malcontents who have truly survived the test of time. The Book of Ancient Bastards: Because when it comes to bad, it reallyisancient history!
Move over, Benedict Arnold . . . Oh to be sure, America's first traitorisone of the 101 bastards you will find in this one-of-a-kind account of bad guys in Washington. But compared to some of the gross misconduct in this frighteningly funny history book, well, let's just say he's in good company. This page-turner of a potboiler reveals all the dirtiest little secrets readers never learned in history class. From illegitimate children (we thought Grover Cleveland was too boring to have sex) and illicit trysts (Warren G. Harding in the White House phone booth with his secretary) to turncoats (make up your own mind about Daniel Ellsberg) and traitors (General Wilkinson, aka a Spanish secret agent), you will discover all the dirt worth dishing since the founding of Jamestown. The Book of Bastards--because what you don't know about the history of our great nation can make you laughandcry!
With The Everything Kids' Presidents Book, you'll be at the head of your class after learning about the lives, legacies, and impact that our country's 44 leaders had on the history of the United States.
Through puzzles, trivia, and facts, The Everything Kids' States Book offers all kids need to know about the U S of A-- from Main and Florida to California and Washington. Kids will enjoy learning all the fun details about America, including: Lake Chargoggmaunchaugagoggchaubung-ungamaugg in Massachusetts has one of the longest names of any body of water in the U. S. The Dutch purchased the land that is now New York city with trade goods that would cost about $25 today. Philadelphia was the first capital of the U. S.
One hundred fifty years after his death, Abraham Lincoln remains one of America's most fascinating, brilliant, and visionary leaders. He's idolized as a hero, a legend, and even a secular saint. In this engaging, intelligent book, you will learn about more than just his savvy political skills and Civil War power plays, including: How Lincoln escaped death more than once as a childWhy the Lincolns kept goats at the White HouseHow John Wilkes Booth's brother saved Lincoln's sonWho tried to rob Lincoln's graveHonest Abe--because what you didn't know will surprise you!
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.