Although Aggie and Will often disagree, they can still be friends.
A survey of true and light-sleeping hibernators--what happens to their body processes, how they prepare for their long sleeps, and what they do when they awaken. Named to the Science Books and Films "Best Children's Science Book List, 1991". Defines hibernation and describes different animals' ways of preparing for and spending the winter. Includes bibliographical references and index.
Describes the physical characteristics, behavior, and life cycle of bees.
The lives of gay, lesbian, and bisexual youths are too often veiled in secrecy and fear. This book gives voice to that invisible community as youths speak out about their fears, relationships, hopes, and expectations. Their narratives are tied together with Mr. Brimner's own experiences and sensitive commentary.
The Corner Kids all have different ideas about how to use a big box, but then they find that working together is the best idea of all.
Gabby discovers that cheating at tee-ball is not the best way to win.
Alex, one of the Corner Kids, doesn't have enough money to buy a special bunch of flowers for his mother, and so he takes some from the window box at Gertie's Spinning Wheel Bike Shop instead.
A children's book about silent letters in words, like the difference between a bit and a bite.
An introduction to performing stunts and routines on motocross bicycles with instructions for tricks and advice on equipment, safety, and competitions.
Describes the history of bobsledding and luge competition, with a look at these sports at the Olympics.
Everyone says Mary is brave, as she performs a number of tasks that require courage.
Describes the physical characteristics, behavior, and life cycle of butterflies and moths.
The Old West produced many wild and colorful characters. One of the wildest and most colorful was Calamity Jane. She was a real person, all right, but not all of her adventures were real. Her honest-to-goodness adventures got all mixed up with those of a fictional character called Calamity Jane, who appeared in a series of dime novels written by Edward Lytton Wheeler in the late 1800s. The books were so popular that people started confusing the lives of Wheeler's Calamity Jane and the real Calamity Jane. Even Calamity seemed to confuse her own real-life adventures with those invented by Wheeler. Years later, it is hard for historians to sort out the truth from the fiction. The truth is, though, that Calamity Jane gave Americans a glimpse of a liberated woman in a time when most women did not have many choices in life. Her spirit of independence, strength, and pride is what lives in the many legends of Calamity Jane. Find out more about Calamity Jane inside, along with a great recipe for Honey-Mustard Barbecue Sandwiches, a glossary, and places to find more information.
The legend of Casey Jones has been around for more than 100 years. It started when, after a horrible train accident in April 1900, a train worker named Wallace Saunders wrote a little ballad to honor the great trainman, Casey Jones. Over the years, verses were added to the original and the legend of Casey Jones grew until it became a tall tale. It's true that investigators said that Casey was responsible for the accident that April night because he was driving too fast and failed to respond to flag signals. Casey will be remembered as a hero, though, because he saved the lives of the train's 300 passengers. Casey's actions also made it possible for his fireman, Sim Webb, to escape the wreck. That's just the sort of thing that turns an ordinary person into a legend -- one fit for a tall tale. Learn more about Casey Jones's wild adventures inside, where you will also find a great recipe for Hobo Beans. Casey himself would have loved them! A glossary and places to discover more information are also included.
Short stories about children with their pets.
The book offers information on limestone caves. Students will learn about the rules, the gear, the professionals involved, and more in this book.
Ideal for today's young investigative reader, each A True Book includes lively sidebars, a glossary and index, plus a comprehensive "To Find Out More" section listing books, organizations, and Internet sites. A staple of library collections since the 1950s, the new A True Book series is the definitive nonfiction series for elementary school readers.
Jealous of his friend's matching coats, Alex soon realizes how fortunate he is to have a warm coat when so many people have none.
Seven-year-old Cory Coleman's birthday party is ruined by the class bully, who turns out not to be such a bully in the end.
Country Bear borrows all the ingredients for a cake from his neighbor and then gives her the cake as a present. Includes a recipe for apple cake.
Trying to find out why his birthday has been forgotten, Country Bear persists in interrupting the activities of what appears to be a secret club.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.