I Wish I'd Been There brings together twenty of our most distinguished historians' responses to the question "What scene or incident in American history would you most liked to have witnessed--and why?" The answers illuminate crucial moments in our past and give readers a front-row seat at some of American history's most dramatic events.The Salem witch trials, the raid on Harper's Ferry, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the voting rights march on Selma, the beginnings of the Vietnam War--all of these and more are vividly recreated here by a stellar list of contributors, including Mary Beth Norton, Joseph Ellis, Carol Berkin, Geoffrey Ward, Robert Dallek, Jay Winik, Robert Cowley, Carolyn Gilman, and William Leuchtenburg, among other luminaries of the profession. With imagination, insight, and vivid detail, I Wish I'd Been There is an engaging tour through key events in American history.From the Trade Paperback edition.obert Dallek, and William Leuchtenburg, among other luminaries of the historical profession.I Wish I'd Been There is a marvelous concept, wonderfully and imaginatively executed. The result is an American pageant of character and event that will attract and delight readers of history.
The Authors and Essays inI Wish I'd Been There®, Book Two Josiah Ober ·At the Deathbed of Alexander the Great Tom Holland ·Hannibal Crosses the Alps Theodore K. Rabb ·Christmas Day in the Year 800 John Julius Norwich ·Venice, July 24, 1177 Katherine Fischer Drew ·Magna Carta and the King's Men Barbara A. Hanawalt ·Rebel Leader Confronts King at Smithfield in 1381 Lauro Martines ·Ten Thousand Brutes in Renaissance Florence Geoffrey Parker·August 9, 1588: The Spanish Armada (almost) Surrenders Katherine ...
'What is the moment in history that you would like to have witnessed-and why?' This is the thought-provoking question that Theodore Rabb and Byron Hollinshead posed to twenty of our finest historians. Their answers can be found in this fascinating and thoroughly readable book, which trains a lens on crucial moments of our past and brings them to vivid life. Contributors include Tom Holland, John Elliott, John Julius Norwich, Margaret MacMillan and John Keegan and with these - and other - peerless scholars as their guides, readers will be transported to the death of Alexander the Great, Christmas 800CE when Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, Hannibal's legendary crossing of the Alps, Runnymede where King John was forced to sign Magna Carta, the Spanish Armada, the Battle of the Nile, Paris 1919, the German surrender in 1945 and the end of the First Gulf War. Imaginatively executed and vividly written, the result is a pageant of character and event that will attract and delight readers of history.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.