- Table View
- List View
Who will come to the aid of beleaguered King Hrothgar, whose warriors have become the prey of the vengeful outcast monster Grendel? A grand and glorious story that has endured for centuries, the ageless classic adventure takes on a breathtaking new life in a remarkable new version for a modern era. Brilliantly reimagined by acclaimed, award-winning author Caitlín R. Kiernan, based on the screenplay by #1 New York Times bestseller Neil Gaiman and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Roger Avary, it is the tale of a noble liege and a terrible creature who has cursed his kingdom with death, blood, and destruction--and of the great hero, Beowulf, who is called to a land of monsters to triumph where so many have failed . . . or to die as so many of the brave before him.
Modern Masters of TerrorThe works of H. P. Lovecraft have inspired brilliant writers for decades, leading Stephen King to call him the "twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale."Editor S.T. Joshi has assembled 18 brand-new stories of cosmic mayhem and terror, by Jason V. Brock, Rick Dakan, Jason C. Eckhardt, Brian Evenson, Tom Fletcher, Richard Gavin, Caitlín R. Kiernan, John Langan, Nick Mamatas, Nicholas Royle, Darrell Schweitzer, John Shirley, Melanie Tem, Steve Rasnic Tem, Jonathan Thomas, Donald Tyson, Don Webb, and Chet Williamson. These tales will thrill and satisfy the most demanding of Lovecraftian readers, and add to a canon that has inspired for nearly a century!
They are the Children of the Cuckoo. Stolen from their cribs and concealed in shadows to be raised by ghouls, they are now changelings in service to the creatures who rule the world Below and despise the world Above. Any human contact is strictly forbidden and punishment is swift and severe for those who disobey. Raised by her widower father, Emmie Silvey has a precocious personality and striking yellow eyes that have left her a solitary child. But that changes when two women enter her life - one who stalks her, one who haunts her dreams - both insisting that her entire life is a lie and warning her of an encroaching darkness.
From the wastelands of Mars to the streets of a late 21st-century Manhattan, from the moons of Europa and Saturn to an iceless Antarctica, these 8 tales bring an acclaimed author's trademark brand of the eco-gothic to bear on what it means to be human and the paths that may face mankind only a little farther along.
Chance Silvey grew up in her grandparents' house on the side of Red Mountain, high above the urban sprawl of Birmingham, Alabama. Now married, with a baby on the way, she wants to move on and leave the house-and the tragic history of her family-in the past. But her future is already tainted. Chance is hallucinating, seeing blood everywhere, and is afraid to uncover what it means. Her husband, Deacon, a gifted psychic, fears being drawn into a police investigation after having a vision of a serial killer's brutality. And it all leads to a woman with a thirst for violence, hiding from something that haunts her day and night. Something even more terrible than she is...
Ten years after Spyder Baxter's memories of abuse gave birth to otherworldly yet very real horrors, those who were drawn into her life have not yet fully recovered. Sequel to Silk.
Sarah Crowe left Atlanta, and the remnants of a tumultuous relationship, to live alone in an old house in rural Rhode Island. Within its walls she discovers an unfinished manuscript written by the house's former tenant-a parapsychologist obsessed with the ancient oak growing on a desolate corner of the property. And as the gnarled tree takes root in her imagination, Sarah risks her health and her sanity to unearth a revelation planted centuries ago. . .
From the book cover: "TALK TO ME, SPYDER. TELL ME THE STORY...." "You already know the story, Robin." But Robin squeezes her hand hard, sudden, unexpected pressure, and her eyes flutter open. "Please, Spyder?" she asks, "please? I need to hear it again, I need to hear you tell it." "It's very late," Spyder says, brushing Robin's bangs from her eyes. "You look so sleepy." "I need to hear," Robin says and now she sounds desperate, close to tears. "I need to hear." Spyder sighs, hugs Robin close. Outside the house, Spyder's rambling junk cluttered house where it is never anything but Halloween-the late October night is still and satisfied. No wolf-howling wind or bare branches scritching window glass, nothing but the sound of a car passing on the street. Spyder waits until it has gone and then she clears her throat. "Before the World," she begins, "there was a war in Heaven...."
A young woman delves into the past to discover the secret of a strange fossil that shouldn't even exist. As she digs deeper into the mystery, she is drawn into a battle between angels and monsters.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.