- Table View
- List View
The second volume in The Tennessee Frontier Trilogy, The Border Men is an adventure saga set in the period from 1778 to 1783. The battle at King's Mountain is the prominent historical context of the novel.
Owen Killiffer is driven by the need for revenge on the mad Englishman who carried off his sister and killed most of his family. He also has struggles resolving the conflict with his father. In the meantime, old familiar characters are back with joys and problems of their own.
This historical fiction novel traces the life of David (Davy) Crockett from his early poverty-stricken life in the Tennessee Territory to his death defending the Alamo. In between are a strained relationship with his father, a cattle drive, an aborted attempt to become a sailor, two marriages, war with the Creeks, his tenure as Congressman, and various scrapes brought about by his friendship with Persius Tarr, and other events.
The first volume in The Tennessee Frontier Trilogy, The Overmountain Men traces the settlement of the Tennessee frontier in pre-Revolutionary War America. A fascinating story and an inspiring record of the courage of the colonists.
FROM THE BACK COVER: Western reporter Brady Kenton has made his living with the power of his pen capturing the conflicts and the courage of the American frontier. But there's one story that has always eluded Kenton; the truth behind his wife's purported death in a fiery train crash. Victoria Kenton's body was never found Now, a nervous young Englishwoman has shown up in Leadville, telling Kenton's sidekick, Alex Gunnison, that she is the reporter's long lost daughter and that she knows Victoria's fate. But before Gunnison can bring the girl to Kenton, a Texas man hunter warns him away, calling the woman an insane killer who is spreading lies across the frontier. In a land where fact is stranger than fiction, Brady Kenton is going to have to take a chance. He is sure that the truth is close at hand. And so is a killer, or two.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.