- Table View
- List View
The inspiring new book from the author of Emotional Bullshit reveals why no one is to blame-but everyone's accountable. For many, a rare day goes by in which the need to blame does not arise-be it to cover one's own errors or just to assign an unfortunate event some kind of name (i. e. , "If only X hadn't said X, we wouldn't be in this mess. ") And even for those who are somewhat better at keeping the impulse in check-it is still there. According to psychologist Carl Alasko, blame is such an intrinsic part of how we humans communicate that we rarely take a look at what we're actually doing-and how it can affect our relationships. In this book, Alasko reveals that the need to assign blame when something bad happens stems from a very deep desire we all share to "see justice done". Understandable when a grave crime has been committed, but it can become a dangerous habit if we begin to operate as though placing blame were somehow necessary if we want to change something or someone in our world. Yet this feeling that "someone has to pay" is seldom productive in initiating positive change. In Beyond Blame, Alasko teaches readers to recognize destruction that blame causes in their lives-oftentimes without their even being aware-and to put an end to it once and for all. The path to eliminating blame is not a quick or easy one but, as Carl Alasko demonstrates, it is a road that must be traveled if we hope to achieve true peace in our lives. .
Meet the Duncans, a prominent family from Jamaica, Queens. They may be known for their big house, fancy cars, and lavish lifestyle, but that doesn't make them immune from some over-the-top drama. L. C. Duncan has run his successful car dealership in Jamaica, Queens for more than thirty years, but when the recession hits and the competition gets a little rough, some say it's time for him to retire. Palm trees and golf sound like fun, but L. C. still has a few tricks up his sleeve. Which one of his kids can he trust to run the family business? Paris could give any supermodel a run for her money. When she walks in the room, all heads turn, but it's her anger issues and knack for getting into trouble that most people remember. She's much more dangerous than anyone gives her credit for--except, perhaps, her father. Orlando is the most obvious choice to lead the Duncans into the future. He has proven himself to be quite the businessman over the years; but sometimes, the most obvious choice isn't always the best choice. Harris Grant is married to L. C. 's oldest daughter. In Harris's opinion, he's the most qualified to run the family business. Now he just needs to convince L. C. . . . and make sure no one discovers the secret he's been keeping. Harris isn't the only one with skeletons in the closet. The Duncan family has been keeping a secret of their own--a deep, dark secret that, if revealed, will shock the entire community.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.