Mothers care for their babies in all kinds of ways. A mother duck keeps her eggs warm, a mother cat washes her little ones with her warm, gentle tongue, a mother goose chases intruders away from the nest . . . and a human mother lovingly tucks her child in and kisses him good night. The profound connection between mother and child emanates from every word and brush stroke as Carol Carrick's spare, elegant text and her son Paul Carrick's luminous paintings join to create a tender and reassuring picture book.
In the second collaboration of the mother-and-son team that created Mothers Are Like That, two cubs are born to a polar bear. Mother bear teaches her cubs how to swim and hunt seals. But when the ice melts earlier than usual-the result of a changing climate-there is not enough food to keep her milk rich or to feed her cubs. Emboldened by hunger, the bears venture into human territory, where they are captured and caged in a special jail for bears until winter returns and the ice forms once more. Then the bears are released to hunt again on the shifting floes of the Arctic. This lyrical story of a mother and her babies is beautifully illustrated and based on fact. It includes a detailed afterword on the effects of global warming on polar bears.
[from the book jacket] "Paul, of Paul's Christmas Birthday, is the happiest boy in kindergarten because he can take Sam, the class's pet rabbit, home during Easter vacation. Sam gets lost--and luckily, found. And a much wiser Paul has learned a valuable lesson. Another warmly satisfying picture book by the popular husband and wife team."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.