- Table View
- List View
The Lupus Handbook for Women: Up-to-date Information on Understanding and Managing the Disease Which Affects 1 in 500 Womenby Robin Dibner Carol Colman
What lupus is, how it affects the body, the 3 types of lupus, how to get a correct diagnosis, how to understand the tests, what treatments are, how to prevent flare-ups and maintain health.
Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten: Raise IQ Points by Up to 30 Points and Turn on Your Child's Smart Genes Pointsby David Perlmutter Carol Colman
Between birth and age five, your child has up to thirty IQ points at stake. Scientists now know that the human brain is undergoing a constant and dramatic transformation in the first years of life. During this peak time of development, every activity and experience leaves an indelible mark on your baby's brain, for better or worse. The right kind of stimulation and nutrition will create connections in the brain that promote intelligence and raise IQ. The wrong kinds of activities and foods can stifle intellectual development, destroy brain cells, and leave your child more vulnerable to learning or behavior problems down the road. So, what can you do during the first five years to ensure that your child is primed to excel? The good news is that raising a smarter child is easier than you think. It doesn't require making an investment in expensive equipment or high priced tutors. It's as simple as playing the right games, serving the right foods, and maintaining a brain-enhancing environment in your home by eliminating common household toxins. In Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten by Dr. David Perlmutter, you'll learn easy and highly effective strategies that can vastly improve your child's brain power and reduce his or her chances of developing ADD and ADHD. For example, you can: *Stimulate Memory:Changing a component on the over-the-crib mobile every week makes the baby compare what was there before to what's there now, reinforcing memory pathways in the brain that are critical for learning. *Spread out those shots: Schedule more frequent trips to the pediatrician for vaccinations, so that fewer shots are administered at once. Flooding the immune system with a cocktail of different vaccines can damage the nervous system. *Get rid of toxins:Protecting a child from neurotoxins found in foods, toys and even baby bottles can help preserve precious IQ points. Dr. Perlmutter provides a scientifically backed food and supplement plan for children and nursing mothers and details the many brain-building activities that you can do with your child. In addition, he reveals the numerous toys and household products that contain harmful, brain-damaging toxins and shows how to identify and combat common childhood problems like ADD and food allergies that may affect your child's development. Your job over the first five years is to help your child build the best brain possible. With Dr. Perlmutter's help, you can mine the countless opportunities you have each day to make your child smarter, happier and better prepared to excel.
Finally-the ultimate diet for fast, safe weight loss, lifelong health, and longer life, based on more than twenty years of research and the latest findings on appetite and weight. Metabolic specialist Ron Rosedale, M.D., has designed the Rosedale Diet to regulate the powerful hormone leptin, which controls appetite and weight loss by telling the brain when to eat, how much to eat-and when to stop. New research shows that leptin may be one of the body's most important hunger control mechanisms. Control leptin, and you control your weight. Most people's leptin levels are out of control, causing them to overeat and to store fat rather than burn it. The only way to flip the "hunger switch" back to normal is through a diet high in healthy fats and low in carbohydrates, saturated fat, and trans-fatty acids often found in processed food-plus just 15 minutes of daily exercise. Dr. Rosedale's 21-day diet plan is simple: Just select from the many foods on his "A" list, including "healthy-fat" foods such as avocados, nuts, olives, lobster, crab, shrimp, goat cheese, Cornish game hen, venison, and more. Then gradually add foods from the "B" list, such as steak, lamb chops, fruits, beans, and so on. A 28-day menu plan and more than 100 recipes, such as Dilled Salmon and Fresh Asparagus, Gingery Chicken Soup, Lasagna, Black Bean Wrap, Raspberry Mousse Cake, and French Silk Pie, make eating the Rosedale way deliciously easy. Weight loss is just the beginning. The Rosedale Diet will make you feel satisfied, reduce cravings, and put you in control of your "sweet tooth." It can even help eliminate or reduce heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and other conditions associated with "natural" aging, as many of Dr. Rosedale's patients can attest. You'll find inspiring stories from them-and the power to control your weight and improve your health-in this groundbreaking book.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.