- Table View
- List View
What are the ethical issues involved in providing humanitarian aid? What is the real impact of humanitarian groups? Médecins Sans Frontières sought to answer these questions in the Perception Project, a study that spanned four years and more than ten countries. MSF interviewed close to 7,000 people in order to understand the ways that patients, populations, authorities, and communities perceive the Nobel Peace Prize-winning organization's principles and medical practices. While the quality of its medical action is renowned and praised, MSF struggles with the ability to respond to crises, the safety of its teams, and the development of effective interactions with diverse populations and authorities. Dilemmas, Challenges, and Ethics of Humanitarian Action is a series of reflections on the Perception Project that presents the insights and analyses of authors from a diverse array of fields including communications, ethics, medicine, humanitarian studies, and political science. At a time when humanitarian aid is under increasing scrutiny, this book provides insiders' perspectives on how one of largest and most influential non-governmental medical organizations can better serve those in need. Contributors include Caroline Abu-Sada (MSF Switzerland), Naomi Adelson (York University) Donald C. Cole (University of Toronto), François Cooren (Université de Montréal), Sonya De Laat (McMaster University), Laurie Elit (McMaster University), Larissa Fast (University of Notre-Dame), Matthew Hunt ( McGill University), Kirsten Johnson (McGill University), Khurshida Mambetova (Former MSF Canada), Frédéric Matte (Université de Montréal), John D. Pringle (University of Toronto), Lynda Redwood-Campbell (McMaster University), Lisa Schwartz (University of McMaster), Chris Sinding (McMaster), Jennifer Ranford (University of Waterloo), Peter Walker (Feinstein International Center, Tufts University).
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.