Intended for graduate and undergraduate study of the judicial system, this textbook on the United States criminal court system provides an overview of the processes, research principles and classic case studies that define this institution. Spohn (criminology and criminal justice, Arizona State U.) and Hemmens (criminal justice, Boise State U.) have made the text for accessible for students who are not necessarily studying law, and they include discussion questions, readings and exercises that focus more on the practical aspects of courts and less upon legal theory. An online site provides additional Internet resources for students, and instructors can order an additional CD-ROM that contains a test bank, PowerPoint slides and classroom activities. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.