- Table View
- List View
Biography of the African-American union leader.
A biography of physicist Albert Einstein, the man who put forth the general theory of relativity.
Who hasn't wondered what it would be like to grow up in an orphanage? What was the food like? Where did the children sleep? Were the caregivers kind or cruel? How did one end up in an orphanage in the first place?
Presents short biographical profiles of African-American soldiers--who have had to battle both racial prejudice and foreign foes while defending their country--from each of America's major conflicts, from colonial times to the present.
Describes good nutrition and its benefits and suggests ways for young people to improve their diet and control their weight.
An introduction to the life and work of one of the most significant and notorious American writers of the 20th century. Ernest Hemingway's literary status alone makes him worthy of a biography. In addition, his life reads like a suspense story--it's full of action, romance, heartbreak, machismo, mishaps, celebrity, and tragedy. He had first-hand experience of several historic events of the last century, and he rubbed elbows with many other notable writers and intellectual greats of our time. Though his reputation has weathered ups and downs, his status as an American icon remains untouchable. Here, in the only biography available to young people, Catherine Reef introduces readers to Hemingway's work, with a focus on his themes and writing styles and his place in the history of American fiction, and examines writers who influenced him and those he later influenced.
Traces the life of the American Jewish composer who created a new kind of music that has lasted beyond the fashion of his time.
Jane Austen's popularity never seems to fade. She has hordes of devoted fans, and there have been numerous adaptations of her life and work. But who was Jane Austen? The writer herself has long remained a mystery. And despite the resonance her work continues to have for teens, there has never been a young adult trade biography on Austen. Catherine Reef changes that with this highly readable account. She takes an intimate peek at Austen's life and innermost feelings, interweaving her narrative with well-crafted digests of each of Austen's published novels. The end result is a book that is almost as much fun to read as Jane's own work--and truly a life revealed. Includes bibliography and index.
A biography of the poet who faced racism and devoted himself to depicting the black experience in America.
Follows the life of the biologist and conservationist, known for her writing on the environment.
A biography of Martin Luther King's second in command in the civil rights movement, including Abernathy's role after King's untimely death.
Describes the benefits of exercise and discusses how to develop a personal fitness program.
Discusses stress and how to manage it.
Traces the life of the African American classical composer. Includes bibliographical references and index.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.