- Table View
- List View
Biography of the African-American union leader.
A biography of physicist Albert Einstein, the man who put forth the general theory of relativity.
Who hasn't wondered what it would be like to grow up in an orphanage? What was the food like? Where did the children sleep? Were the caregivers kind or cruel? How did one end up in an orphanage in the first place?
Presents short biographical profiles of African-American soldiers--who have had to battle both racial prejudice and foreign foes while defending their country--from each of America's major conflicts, from colonial times to the present.
The Brontë sisters are among the most beloved writers of all time, best known for their classic nineteenth-century novels Jane Eyre (Charlotte), Wuthering Heights (Emily), and Agnes Grey (Anne). In this sometimes heartbreaking young adult biography, Catherine Reef explores the turbulent lives of these literary siblings and the oppressive times in which they lived. Brontë fans will also revel in the insights into their favorite novels, the plethora of poetry, and the outstanding collection of more than sixty black-and-white archival images. A powerful testimony to the life of the mind. (Endnotes, bibliography, index.)
Describes good nutrition and its benefits and suggests ways for young people to improve their diet and control their weight.
An introduction to the life and work of one of the most significant and notorious American writers of the 20th century. Ernest Hemingway's literary status alone makes him worthy of a biography. In addition, his life reads like a suspense story--it's full of action, romance, heartbreak, machismo, mishaps, celebrity, and tragedy. He had first-hand experience of several historic events of the last century, and he rubbed elbows with many other notable writers and intellectual greats of our time. Though his reputation has weathered ups and downs, his status as an American icon remains untouchable. Here, in the only biography available to young people, Catherine Reef introduces readers to Hemingway's work, with a focus on his themes and writing styles and his place in the history of American fiction, and examines writers who influenced him and those he later influenced.
Traces the life of the American Jewish composer who created a new kind of music that has lasted beyond the fashion of his time.
Jane Austen's popularity never seems to fade. She has hordes of devoted fans, and there have been numerous adaptations of her life and work. But who was Jane Austen? The writer herself has long remained a mystery. And despite the resonance her work continues to have for teens, there has never been a young adult trade biography on Austen. Catherine Reef changes that with this highly readable account. She takes an intimate peek at Austen's life and innermost feelings, interweaving her narrative with well-crafted digests of each of Austen's published novels. The end result is a book that is almost as much fun to read as Jane's own work--and truly a life revealed. Includes bibliography and index.
A biography of the poet who faced racism and devoted himself to depicting the black experience in America.
Follows the life of the biologist and conservationist, known for her writing on the environment.
A biography of Martin Luther King's second in command in the civil rights movement, including Abernathy's role after King's untimely death.
Describes the benefits of exercise and discusses how to develop a personal fitness program.
Discusses stress and how to manage it.
Traces the life of the African American classical composer. Includes bibliographical references and index.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.