- Table View
- List View
Charles Colson has been called, "one of the most important social reformers in a generation." Ten years ago in The Body, Colson turned his prophetic attention to the church and how it might break out of its cultural captivity and reassert its biblical identity. Today the book's classic truths have not changed. But the world we live in has. Christians in America have had their complacency shattered and their beliefs challenged. Around the world, the clash of world views has never been more strident. Before all of us, daily, are the realities of life and death, terror and hope, light and darkness, brokenness and healing. We cannot withdraw to the comfort of our sanctuaries...we must engage. For, if ever there was a time for Christians to be the Body of Christ in the world, it is now. In this new, revised and expanded edition of The Body, Charles Colson revisits the question, "What is the church and what is its relevance to contemporary culture at large?" Provocative and insightful, Being the Body inspires us to rise above a stunted "Jesus and me" faith to a nobler view of something bigger and grander than ourselves--the glorious, holy vision for which God created the church.Hardcover ISBN 0849917522
Twenty years ago, against the backdrop of the explosive Watergate scandal, Charles Colson revealed the story of his own search for meaning during the tumultuous investigations that led to the collapse of the Nixon administration. A convicted former special counsel to the president, Colson paradoxically found new life not with success and power, but while in national disgrace and serving a prison sentence. In the new foreword for this anniversary edition of Born Again, Colson describes the day he sat in his prison cell and began jotting down notes of the events that brought about the fall of a president and the rebirth of his former "hatchet man." Those notes developed into this book, which has sold more than two million copies. "All I knew was that I had a story I must tell, a story that might bring hope and encouragement to others," Colson recalls. In a new epilogue, he describes some of the ways the story has indeed brought hope, encouragement, and more.
The new President of the United States was running for office, now he's running amuck.
Do you wonder if you can figure out the world and your place in it? Do you question how your life can be truly significant? Reflecting on his own story and the stories of others, Chuck Colson examines the beliefs and assumptions that form the fabric of our lives. You'll read about: The king of corporate scandals The woman the Chinese Cultural Revolution couldn't break The most tragic figure from Watergate A man recovering from same-sex attraction The film characters who say the most about what's happening in culture now The Good Life searches for answers to the questions we all ask: Who am I? Why am I here? How can I find significance in my life? How can I make my life count? These are the core questions and the central passions of this book. Your answers to these questions will determine how your life story is written. Here's the thing. The worldview you live by has everything to do with what you will become. UNDERSTANDING THIS WILL UTTERLY CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
Christianity is more than a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It is also a worldview that not only answers life's basic questions--Where did we come from, and who are we? What has gone wrong with the world? What can we do to fix it?
This book is a contemporary reminder that "loving God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and strength--and your neighbor as yourself" is still what it's all about.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.